Sign in to follow this  

Do i need new clutch pack?

I have a couple things going on with my clutch so I'm wondering if its time for new clutch pack.

Its hard to find neutral when stopped, bike running.

Also having trouble trying to adjust the clutch lever to fully disengage the clutch. If i lift the back wheel off the ground, pull clutch lever all the way in and put bike in gear while holding the clutch lever all the way in, the wheel will spin. So the clutch is not fully disengaging probably the reason finding neutral is so finicky.

bike is a 07 CRF 450R

have a Magura hydraulic clutch on the bike

has 205 hrs on bike and the clutch pack

ive always changed oil every 10 hrs

Just the weight of the tire in the air will spin from the rotational force of the clutch, so put the bike on the ground and see if it stalls. My guess is your basket is grooved. Worn plates would keep it from grabbing, but you should measure the plate thickness anyway at that hour mark. Maybe they are warped?

Edited by dbart250

205hrs on the clutch? I agree that the plates are likely spent, and/or the basket is grooved. Pop off the clutch cover and disassemble/measure/inspect.

pull the cover off, remove the pressure plate, pull the stack out. The manual will state the min spec for the fibers (2.85mm i think). 3mm is new. Inspect the rest of the stuff. Grooved basket teeth can cause some funny stuff .. the hours don't always translate directly to wear. It depends on lots of things, like how hard you are on the clutch, type of riding, etc. Inspect first, THEN decide if you need to spend money. 

Edited by MELK-MAN

Just the weight of the tire in the air will spin from the rotational force of the clutch, so put the bike on the ground and see if it stalls. My guess is your basket is grooved. Worn plates would keep it from grabbing, but you should measure the plate thickness anyway at that hour mark. Maybe they are warped?[/quot

The wheel will spin like ur letting the clutch lever out, holding the clutch dose not fully disengage the clutch. it does not just rotate slowly it spins fast.

i will crack it open and have a look. thanks for the input guys.

If you got 205 hours out of one clutch kudos to you. It doesn't owe you anything at this point. I have burnt clutch's In 20.5 hours!