Sign in to follow this  

hard clutch pull

Last year I put a new clutch, cable and stiffer springs in my 04 250f. I finally got sick of the hard pull and put in 3 stock clutch springs. Seems to have helped but lately it seems like the clutch got harder. Would a badly notched basket cause the clutch pull to be harder than normal?

Edited by 563ripper

I can't confirm that a notched hub and basket will effect the pull although It's not that hard to pull these and file if need.

On my 05, I upgraded to a sunline breakaway clutch lever. Beside fact that's its virtually un-breakable, you can ajust how far the lever is from the handle bar. ie move it away to get a bit more leverage.

Make sure the clutch cable is routed correctly. I make sure mine pulls as straight out of the lever as possible and as straight into the clutch on the engine. Mine slightly interferes with removing the oil dipstick so I have to lossen and rotate the cable when checking my oil.

This may be obvious BUT as my clutch got hard to pull, it ended up being the cable almost seizing due to water getting in from washing and rusting. Now after about every 3rd or 4th wash, I disconnect the cable at both ends and use a cable lubricating tool to spray Maxima Penetrating lube (WD40 will work) into the lever side of the cable until it comes out the bottom. Theres pros/cons to this ie if you always ride in dusty conditions, dust can stick to the lube causing wear etc BUT IMO if you lube frequently you should be good.

I also run the Motion Pro cable. My local bike shop guy actually tells me to replace the cable and NOT to lube but I kinda cheap but a new cable is only like $20.00.

So I would first disconnect the cable at both end's and check that it slides like butter and replace/lube, then routing, then that's it adjusted correctly, then both clutch hub and basket. Optionally a new lever but these are NOT CHEAP.

JUST went back to my Clymer manual - here's their suggestions

Things to check if its hard to pull...

- dry/damaged/kinked/stuck or incorrectly routed clutch cable

- damaged clutch release lever (thing that goes into the engine).

- damaged clutch lifter thrust washer and needle bearing

Rough clutch operation

- worn, grooved or damaged clutch hub and clutch housing (basket) slots.

I'm sure I may have missed something but good luck:)

Even since I fitted my 06 with asv levers it has been buttery smooth. As to how that made my pull easyier.....I really don't know, but it did dramatically. Also put a little oil on that seal when the clutch mechanism goes into the case. And do everything the guy above me said. If all that dosent help then theirs something wrong

Edited by Berm-Saw

These cables are teflon lined, and lubing will actually destroy the coating. If they are allready seized or stiff go for it, but dont lube a well working cable.

How about a hydraulic clutch from rmatv? $260 made by magura.

im very tempted by those.  i almost bought one when i first bought the bike.  but i think ill jiust leave the cable clutch on the bike for awhile.  i just started riding a 125 for the first time yesterday and i liked it alot more than my 250f surprisingly so that will be my new go to bike instead of my crf.  i mean the clutch isnt crazy hard but switching from the 125 to my bike its a big difference