Sign in to follow this  

Battery or fuse issue?

I am not exactly sure, but I think it may be the connection to the battery or a blown fuse, but my bike would not start yesterday. None of the electronics would work. I have the S model, so it's electric start only. The headlight would not come on, my vapor tech (wired to a circuit not controlled by the ignition) would not light up, and my brake lights would not trigger. That tells me that it's not just my ignition switch. I tried to jump it with my wife's car thinking if it was a totally dead battery or the connection at the terminals, then at least I could jump it and get it home, but no luck. I have not yet tried to push start it, but I am less than a mile from my house, so I think I am just going to walk it home today. Does anyone have an idea of a fuse I might have blown when I wired up my vapor tech the day before yesterday?

There's a fuse located near the battery. Check that first. Then use a volt meter to check your battery. Anything well under 12v on your battery should indicate replacement. First things first check your fuse. Sometimes jumping these with cars can blow the fuse

When everything is totally dead. it is often the main (only) fuse.  Could also be a totally dead battery for some reason, bad fuse holder, the wire connector between the battery and the fuse, or simply loose/dirty battery terminals.

There's a fuse located near the battery. Check that first. Then use a volt meter to check your battery. Anything well under 12v on your battery should indicate replacement. First things first check your fuse. Sometimes jumping these with cars can blow the fuse

When everything is totally dead. it is often the main (only) fuse.  Could also be a totally dead battery for some reason, bad fuse holder, the wire connector between the battery and the fuse, or simply loose/dirty battery terminals.

Thanks for the suggestions. I bump started it and got it home. I knew it was the connection to the battery and could only assume it was a fuse. The fuse I found was the inline fuse for the battery charger lead (previous owner installed, I don't have a battery charger yet) I found the fuse that has a little box on top of the battery, That was the one that was blown. 

So my main fuse blew a few minutes ago while riding. I was going down an overpass toward a stoplight, so I was in 4th, letting the gears slow me down, and I got a couple of backfires, and then when I pulled the clutch when I stopped, it totally died. I waited for traffic to clear since I was in the left turn lane, and luckily I was next to a good parking lot to bump start it. I pushed it in there, and it took 10 or 15 tries to get it to start by bump starting, it wouldn't run on it's own, I think the carb was flooded. After I finally got it running, I rode it home and it didn't die again (Thankfully, since I didn't want to have to bump start it again). I'm thinking that the stator might be going out, which caused the coil to fail, the bike to die with a flooded carb, and the fuse to blow somewhere in the process. Any suggestions?

What size fuse did you install last time? It is supposed to be a 20 amp, not 7.5

If the stator goes, it rarely if ever, takes anything else out with it. If the fuse is good, do the staor tests. Failure of stator typically starts with mis-firet speed and then get worse or just a sudden complete failure to generate electricity, causing the bike to quickly run down the battery.

What size fuse did you install last time? It is supposed to be a 20 amp, not 7.5

If the stator goes, it rarely if ever, takes anything else out with it. If the fuse is good, do the staor tests. Failure of stator typically starts with mis-firet speed and then get worse or just a sudden complete failure to generate electricity, causing the bike to quickly run down the battery.

It still has the 7.5 in it. I will have to get some 20's to have it stock. I'm just curious why it would pull so much current while I'm riding. I understand the starter takes a pretty good amount of current, but why would the bike die on me while riding? It does not need the battery to run, so even though the fuse blew, I don't understand why the bike died.