DRZ400SM has a serious flat spot at mid-RPM

Hey guys, I need some help with my DRZ400SM 2008 model.

It has a serious flat spot at mid RPM, where it doesnt accelerate at all. I need to gear down to get over the flat spot, if not it will just stay there and run shit.

I have tried to ride with the airfilter cover off, which made it run much worse. Then I tried to tape 1/3 of the 3x3 hole, which made little to no difference. I then taped the whole 3x3 hole, but that didnt make much difference either.

I just can't figure what the problem is, so this is where I hope you guys have any tips! ?

Mods done on the bike: 

-155 Main jet and 4th clip on the needle. (I do believe this is from a JD jetting kit from the previous owner.)

-MRD ProComp exhaust

-3x3 mod.

Any help is appreciated! ?

Stock bore ? with open pipe use 160 main jet and Blue needle clip 4

Yeah stock bore and open pipe.

Allright, will try a 160 jet first, if that doesn't work Ill try 150. ?

Just sucks that no dealer around here has the jet I need so I gotta order one, takes forever to ship from USA to Norway. :/

Anyone know where I can buy a 150 and a 160 jet for my Mikuni CV 36 carb? Thumpertalk's store just seem to have 4-packs. 

Edited by osteper

Osteper , when you change those jets , just check the diaphragm is seated properly and it isnt perished/cracked . Also make sure the little o-ring is located properly . As the carb works on air pressure , it sounds like you are loosing the pressure to lift the slide when you need it ( vacuum ) You may have an airleak somewhere , greg

Mine had a stupid flat spot at highway speeds, i only had to relocate my breather hose out of the wind to solve it.

434cc hotcam intake, mrd ssw, 3x3 158 main jet blue needle on 3rd clip i believe. 900ft above sea level   It even runs a little rich on a hot day at WOT under in the early half of 5th gear.

Osteper , when you change those jets , just check the diaphragm is seated properly and it isnt perished/cracked . Also make sure the little o-ring is located properly . As the carb works on air pressure , it sounds like you are loosing the pressure to lift the slide when you need it ( vacuum ) You may have an airleak somewhere , greg

Thanks for your reply, I have already checked the diaphragm several times, aswell as the O-ring. It looks perfectly fine. I also checked the vacum hoses, which were in good shape aswell. ?

Mine had a stupid flat spot at highway speeds, i only had to relocate my breather hose out of the wind to solve it.

434cc hotcam intake, mrd ssw, 3x3 158 main jet blue needle on 3rd clip i believe. 900ft above sea level   It even runs a little rich on a hot day at WOT under in the early half of 5th gear.

This can't be my problem, as it happends at any speed. ?

Yes, what Osteper is describing in his opening post sounds needle related more so than main jet..

Also check the slide diaphragm and vacuum lines are in good shape (as Greg mentioned)

Thanks for your reply! I forgot to mention that I have already tried all possible needle settings, I noticed a slight difference, but there is still a serious flat spot there which it cant even come over, need to gear down to ger over it.

Allmost like a rev limiter, just more smoother, there are no strange sounds when it happends.

Since the needle adjustment made a slight difference I think its worth trying a couple of other jets. Got a 150 and a 160 jet coming in the mail in a couple days. ?

Edit: The diaphragm and vacum hoses are in good shape, as stated in an earlier post. ?

Edited by osteper