Sign in to follow this  

Soda/Bead Blasting Ignition and Clutch Covers

Hey guys.  I've got an 08 CRF250.  On all the bikes I've owned, I've hated how the paint wears off from the boot rubbing.  I want to blast the cases and also valve cover with a handheld blaster that I have.  I was wondering if any of you guys have blasted your covers, and what media you use?  I head glass bead leaves a nice satin finish, but that it can be too rough for magnesium.  I was also considering soda blasting.  Give me some input here guys!

20140825_093124 (1).jpg

20140825_092912.jpg

Any media is going to leave a roughish surface. It will wear your boots, dirt will stick and your boots will eventually 'polish' the points of contact. At most, I'd strip the paint and leave it like that, gently clean after each ride. I have a similar issue with ab alloy frame, and carfeful cleaning without doing any streme 'improvement' has left the fram looking showroom.

I went to a local place that powder coats, and they did mine like the factories.  The guy working there said they are simply "etched".  He charged like 20 bucks and it took 15 minutes.  The surface isnt rough, but not smooth like paint either, but marks come right off no problem if I rub it with a microfiber cloth or something.  I spray a bit of wd40 on it, then wipe it off and it gives it a very light brown look sometimes.  I like it.

imagejpg2_zps114c6e43.jpg

• Like 3

I glass bead blasted mine, then sprayed some clear on. I have done this on a few bikes and it has always held up pretty nicely.

007-6_zpsc482172e.jpg

• Like 1

I glass bead blasted mine, then sprayed some clear on. I have done this on a few bikes and it has always held up pretty nicely.

007-6_zpsc482172e.jpg

what clear coat did you use? and how does it hold up?

what clear coat did you use? and how does it hold up?

I just used some high temp clear from the autoparts store. It's been a year and a half and the ignition covers on both of my bikes still look pretty good. The clear rubs off where my boot rubs, but you can't tell.

I used gasket remover, wire brushes and then the usual PC procedure on my 'new to me' 250 a few weeks ago. (less abbrassive using the chemical over my blasting cabinet)

whfb45.jpg

Anyone from Ontario/NY local feel free link me, I'll do yours for cheap

Edited by chronicsmoke
  • Like 2