Sign in to follow this  

2000 xr640L weak spark

Believe CDI box is going out, bike randomly dies and has no spark for random periods of time then usually 're starts but now it doesn't start since spark is weak and yellow , could the bad CDI box cause the weak spark or so I have an unrealated issue possibly ?

smack the back of the CDI with a screwdriver handle,,sharply....if the bike starts or fire is improved read my repair thread at the top of this forum.......

There is a possibility the ignition coil or resistor in the cap is an issue,,also the pulse generator can cause stalling and no starts..

But...the most common issue is the CDI..and it can be repaired..

B

• Like 1

Just got it, guy said it's being doing this for around a year, it's stopped starting all together now. Ohmed out the stator plate and its good so pretty sure it's just CDI box, ordered a new one and plan on trying to fix the old one. Thanks for the great write up on cdi box repair !

If the battery is charged and in good shape the stator won't cause spark problems, of course the batt will eventually go dead though.

Is this bike supposed to have a resistor cap and Cooper wire ? it has a soft yellow wire with a rubber yellow plug cap ? Just did a coil swap on. My cm400 and a resistor plug with carbon core resistor wire is too Mich resistance and resistor wire without the resistor cap isn't enough. Maybe someone has done this and caused a resistance issue too ? Idk just a thought

Edited by dvsxt250

That doesn't sound like the stock plug wire.

The stock cap has a resistor, the stock wire is all copper.