Sign in to follow this  

Troubleshoot engine not starting

Hi there,

I have a 2007 XR125L. I let it stand outside for around 3 weeks while I went on vacation, and now that I'm back it won't start anymore. Could someone help troubleshoot?

1. When I hit the starter, the engine doesn't turn over at all, there's just a constant clicking sound. It sounds similar to the solenoid clicking in this video at 0:14.

2. When push starting the bike, it starts up, engine turns over for approximately 2 seconds, then dies. During this time, the throttle has no effect whatsoever.

3. Whether I have the kill switch on or off, I get the exact same symptoms when hitting the starter and push starting.

4. I installed a new spark plug and there was no difference whatsoever.

5. There's plenty of gas.

6. I tried different choke positions, as well as the remedy for flooded engine (full throttle + starter for 5 seconds) and no difference.

Any ideas? I think #3 might indicate that the kill switch is broken, but haven't been able to experiment with that yet. How is the bike supposed to sound when the kill switch is set to off and the starter is hit? Is there supposed to be a clicking, or does nothing happen at all?

Thanks!

The battery was my first suspicion, but if it was dead I should still be able to push start it, no?

Didn't try fresh gas. It's only 3 weeks old though!

yes, you would be able to push start it with a dead battery.

but if the kill switch is off, it should not start.

it will Sound the same, it just won't start.

it is not completing the circuit to the ignition.

thus no spark to fire.

did you check the air filer ?  if outside, maybe something got in it.

water ?  animals ?

Edited by AKohler883

Hey guys, just thought I'd update this thread with the solution.

When I went back out today, the battery was completely dead. So I put it on charge, and meanwhile opened up and repositioned the air filter (which it turns out the previous owner had mounted incorrectly -- thanks AKohler883 for mentioning that), as well as WD-40ied the kill switch and other possible fault points.

After 2 hours charging, the bike started up fine. So most likely it was just the battery, although I still don't understand why I wasn't able to push start the bike with a weak battery?

If the battery was stone cold dead, it may not charge up and Stay charged up. Let it sit a couple days and take the voltage with a voltmeter and let me know. You can email me directly at work. Kohlera@yuasainc.com

Also. For cleaning electrical connections. Use spray electrical contact cleaner. Found at any auto parts store. It works great. It cleans, and evaporates quickly.