Sign in to follow this  

What boots are y'all wearing?

I did search the main Dirt Bike section and the crowd favorite seems to be Gaerne.

Most of the discussion did center around my primary concerns.

- Comfort

- Walkability

- Price

I really like the Balance  and the SG10 looks to be a reasonable alternative although more aggressive than I think I want.

What do y'all use and like?

Tried and didn't like?

I love both the gaerne sg12 and I also have and love sidi crossfire srs 2s. The sidis are a little more streamlined in the toe box area

I have the gaerne sg12's now and love them, super comfortable, easy to walk in, awesome buckles and great protection. I started off with a pair of thor ratchet boots...did the job but not very flexible and took a while to break in. The buckles aren't the most durable either. I went to the alpinestar tech 3 boots next, liked the buckles more, found the boots more comfortable, decent protection but not super flexible. The gaerne are leaps and bounds over these boots and should be for the price difference but I just figured I'd by a good set of boots with everything I wanted in them as it'll take me years to wear them out. I have a wider foot and that's what drew me to the gaern over the sidi.

I have Gearne GX1 boots. Price was a concern as well as comfort, protection and reputation. These were about 150 buck more than the first ones I ever bought, but worth every bit.

They are comfortable, broke in quickly, and have saved my shins at least twice from straight on (spear like) stick impact.

Great boots.

A buddy of mine has Sidis and he loves them. He better for $400 plus bucks. Lol

• Like 1

I have the Alpine Stars Tech 8's and love them. That being said I have no other prior experience with dirt boots: these are my first.

They're comfortable and my feet stay cool as well. I have no doubt my ankles are safe too, in fact I've proven it a couple of times.

• Like 1

I did search the main Dirt Bike section and the crowd favorite seems to be Gaerne.

- Comfort

- Walkability

- Price

I really like the Balance  and the SG10 looks to be a reasonable alternative although more aggressive than I think I want.

gaerne gx1 with Vibram enduro sole are very good for trail riding, they last a long time and are cheaper than sg10.

gx1 are protective and ,  at the same time,  soft enough to walk and to move pedals without to much effort.

i have never had a problem with them. please note that to be *almost* waterproof they need grease over stiches. with adequate sockets  i can wear them from 0 to 35°C, they are not too hot or too cold.

sg10 are more track oriented. in italy they are not extremely pricey. even if i could buy both, for trail riding i'm at the second pair of gx1....

- Comfort

- Walkability

- Price

Tried and didn't like?

I've used a lot of different boots thru the years and my all time favorites are SIDI Crossfires with Enduro soles.

Very comfortable, I wear street socks.

I can walk in them because of the ankle hinge and the Enduro sole.

The hinge also makes it easier to feel the brake and shift levers.

Thin toe section for easier operation of the shifter.

Very high foot protection because they are plastic.

Large enough calf volume to fit over my knee protectors.

Durable, and replacement parts are available.

My second fav are a pair of three buckle Gaerne Balanced oiled leather Trials boots:

Waterproof

low height

light weight

fairly easy walking

lug sole

Not the foot protection of the SIDI

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

I'm currently considering the Gaerne Balance oiled leather trials boot and the GX-1.

The Balance should be more comfortable and easier to walk in.

The GX-1 should provide more protection.

Waterproofness is also a concern, how do the GX-1 handle water?

A little water intrusion is not a big deal but there are a few water crossings at Royal Blue and a soaked foot, even in the summer heat, can be uncomfortable after awhile.

I wear Fox boots, forget the model, they were about $110. I had tried some cheaper ones of another brand, and hated them. The cheap ones were stiff like ski boots, no motion at the ankle at all.

The Fox boots work OK, but they are not comfortable to walk in. Its possible to walk, but its not fun. They don't feel all that heavy, but boy are they hot. After a ride on an East Coast hot and humid day, my feet are toasted.

I'm gonna give the GX-1 a try. 

I really like all the aspects of the Balance except it is a little low cut and this will effect protection and waterproofness.

My feet sweat more moisture than these boots let in. But if you point a hose at them and blast, you get some water inside. I've never gotten any water inside from stream crossings.

Edited by Harvo

I'm gonna give the GX-1 a try. 

I really like all the aspects of the Balance except it is a little low cut and this will effect protection and waterproofness.

The Gaerne Balanced have a water proof liner so they don't leak.  The height is only an issue if you are wading thru deep water.

They also have a good seal ring at the top to keep water out.

From my experience of riding in the wet NW most water into boots is the result of splash water running down your pant leg and into the boot.  The test is to carefully wade into water to test the boot for water leaks. If no leaks then wet boots is water running down your pant and into the boot, a wrap of duct tape will fix that.  For leaks use bees wax to seal all of the seams, available at most outfitters as Sno-Seal or similar.  I warm the boots in an oven and melt the bees wax, than paint the bees wax on all of the seams, rivets, and leather. The warm boot and liquid bees wax really penetrates and seals the boots.

Thanks for all the info and input.

My GX-1's arrived and they feel great right out of the box.

A little stiff but much better than any I've ever tried on new.  Easy to put on and easy to latch.

The water intrusion I've experienced in the past has been from the top of the boot either splashing and trickling or the top of the boot went under water.  These were short combat/tactical boots so it's no wonder.

Other than the Sno-Seal on the seams, what other treatment have any of y'all used on the leather parts?

I've got some Lexol and Leather Honey.

The GX-1 only has a few sections of leather, the rest is a combo of other materials like plastic, etc.

I may just spray the whole boot with 303 Protector, works great on rubber and plastic and even leather.

I got to try out my sprank brand new GX-1 and get them dirty.  Felt very comfy but had to get used to the taller toe area and adjusted my shifter to accomodate.  Had to take about a 1 mile walk to the Elk Towers at Royal Blue and they were pretty good, just a little aggrevation on my right lower calf where my sock seemed to rub. 

I kept them pretty clean but the Earth around here leaves a film on stuff.

What do y'all like to use to clean boots with, especially the leather sections?

Any sort of treatment afterwards to preserve them other than the seam treatment?

I need to order some of that Sno Beezwax.

- Comfort

- Walkability

- Price

Tried and didn't like?

Forma Adventure

https://thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/43241-forma-adventure-boots/

Rode last night and when I got home, I didn't take them off in the house for over and hour. Not as armored as SG10s (my other boots), but far better walkers. Read my review for details.