New KX 65 in the garage..., tips, issues?

We have a brand new KX 65 sitting in the garage for my 9-yr old grandson.  He has been on a 110L(manual clutch model) for 7-months and improved to a point that he raced his first MX last weekend (65-beginner).  So, time for a more appropriate race bike and we chose the KX mostly for the price and parts availability.  My Grandson is tall for his age and we figure he'll be on an 85 this time next year so the KX will be just fine for a year of MX learning.

My question for you KX 65 owners is about tips or issues I need to be aware of???  What parts of the bike do I need to pay special attention to for service, or need to keep an eye on for adjustment, etc.  Any inherent issues with this bike that I need to know about???

I have already reduced fork oit volume, and setup the suspension (sag, clickers, etc) to match his skill level at this time.

Thanks for any info.

Randy

My 8-yr old son is finishing his first season racing on a kx65.  The biggest challenge is not the clutch, it is the "hit" of the powerband (pb).  This bike is made to ride in the pb and the transition into it almost always causes a new rider to let off the throttle.  So, I've spent most of the year trying to smooth that hit.  I have done the following mods: Moose torque spacer, Boyesen dual-stage reeds, 48T rear sprocket (up from 47) 13T front, and FMF Fatty pipe.  Setting the sag and keeping the forks maintained helps a lot too.  I also adjusted the timing -- I moved the stator plate one notch clockwise which the manual says is retarding but I think is actually advancing.  Try both and test -- it is obvious when you get it right.   I've ridden the bike after each mod to see the effects.  I did the reeds and torque spacer at the same time.

I don't know of much else that can be done.  My boy is riding much better but still on the cautious side.  More seat/track time will help.

I think power delivery is the biggest advantage of the newer KTM 65's -- their powervalve delivers the power much more smoothly.  Young, new riders get a lot more comfortable quicker and ride faster as a result...

The KX65 is a mean machine; it just takes a while for young riders to harness the screaming power!

• Like 2

Chokey is correct. Keep the 65 on a diet of 32:1.

Also, you can "washer" the exhaust. It's a trick some use to minimize the hit. Find a large fender washer that fits well between the pipe and the cylinder. Open up the hole to 5/8" to start with. If if feels weak to him, enlarge it 1/8th" at a time.

Granted, very few people in the world have drill bits that large. But a marker, measuring tape and a dremel tool with a stone does wonders.

Eventually he'll be wanting more power week by week and will no longer need the washer. Last little fella I worked with that I had to do this for was off the washer in 3 weekends.

Or depending on how you are. My daughter learned, Trial by Fire. Control the throttle. After she flipped a few times out the gate, she learned quick. LOL

Edited by SAPPERS

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not reading anything here about issues with the bike itself so I'll assume it's pretty straight-forward as far as maintenance and service requirements.

We'll find out this next Wednesday how my Grandson adapts to the powerband of a KX as it will be his first ride on the new bike. He was riding the KLX110L pretty well last week so I am less worried about the transition to the KX than if he was coming straight off a non-performance 50cc model, or straight onto the KX as a first time beginner.

Randy

Here are a couple pics of RIley (Grandson) on the 110L from the last couple weeks.

MtView01%2014.jpg

MtView07%2014.jpg

Looks great. Congrats. I'm sure Grandpa is going to spoil him bad. LOL

Also the plastics from the KLX and KX are interchangeable. So if you have any extra pieces laying around, hang on to them.

I did my daughters old 65 in white with a nice graphics kit. I did had to slightly reform the front fender downward with a heatgun because it was a little to far outward.

Maybe some ideas to set him apart from others.

cherish_casey.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

• Like 1

Sappers, thanks much for your contributions on this thread, I appreciate it.

Love the thought of individual identity through graphics on the bike!  Your bike is "sweet" looking!  I often wonder why some of the KTM crowd don't change-up some their "Orange Brigade" bikes so they don't look like a million other KTMs in the little bike classes???

Randy

Looks great. Congrats. I'm sure Grandpa is going to spoil him bad. LOL

Also the plastics from the KLX and KX are interchangeable. So if you have any extra pieces laying around, hang on to them.

I did my daughters old 65 in white with a nice graphics kit. I did had to slightly reform the front fender downward with a heatgun because it was a little to far outward.

Maybe some ideas to set him apart from others.

cherish_casey.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

I like the color coordination, everything goes with kawi-greenJ