Under pants protection

I'm changing pants (not underpants!), or trousers as us Brits call them.

I had some enduro pants that tuck in the boots but have ordered some different pans that are waterproof and have an inner that tucks in the boot and an outer mud/waterproof shell. Trouble is, there is no protection around the hips ass etc as there was with the last pair.

Does anyone use the cycle type shorts with soft armour in them?

Can anyone recommend a make that I may be able to buy on this side of the pond!

Thanks in advance

Richard

I'm changing pants (not underpants!), or trousers as us Brits call them.

I had some enduro pants that tuck in the boots but have ordered some different pans that are waterproof and have an inner that tucks in the boot and an outer mud/waterproof shell. Trouble is, there is no protection around the hips ass etc as there was with the last pair.

Does anyone use the cycle type shorts with soft armour in them?

Can anyone recommend a make that I may be able to buy on this side of the pond!

Thanks in advance

Richard

Really , I thought you guys from England were pros, at body armor, you know the days of the Knights of the Round table and all?

• Like 2

If i'm planning on a full day of riding I'll wear cycling shorts as my base layer. Good brands, Louis Garneau, Pearl Izumi, Castelli, all make low and high end, look for ones with more number of "panels" these fit better and typically have better quality material/padding

Gotta have the padded gooch protection! It really doesn't matter if it is a quick one hour ride or an all day one, padded bicycle shorts are the shit!

• Like 1

Just curious about this topic.  I ride Mountain Bikes and wear cycling shorts for that, but I have never had the inclination to use them for the DB.  I've ridden for up to 4 hours offroad without a stop and never had any nad/crotch issues.  What is happening that they prevent?

I get the hockey shorts, but on the DB you don't really have a narrow hard seat up your taint.  Of course after reading this I will go wear cycling shorts on the DB just to see :-)

Bicycle shorts will give you the pad under your butt for comfort, I don't think that is the padding you're looking for?  There are many brands of moto shorts that have pads for your hips, tail bone, and thighs, but most don't have any under your butt.  Can you buy from the big internet supply companies, will the U.S. based ones ship across the pond?

Revzilla is great if they'll ship to you:

http://www.revzilla.com/motocross-protective-gear#v2-facets[]=378&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured&tab=all

I like X Sports Protective too:

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/mountain-bike-padded-shorts.html

If they don't ship at least they have lots of brands with detailed info so you can look locally for them.

Edited by motoinmoab
  • Like 1

Just curious about this topic.  I ride Mountain Bikes and wear cycling shorts for that, but I have never had the inclination to use them for the DB.  I've ridden for up to 4 hours offroad without a stop and never had any nad/crotch issues.  What is happening that they prevent?

I get the hockey shorts, but on the DB you don't really have a narrow hard seat up your taint.  Of course after reading this I will go wear cycling shorts on the DB just to see :-)

Thanks for all the replies everyone there's some great info and ideas here - I appreciate people taking the time to post stuff.

Harvo,

it's the protection for the thighs/coccyx that I was interested in, I managed to topple the bike on to of me some slow difficult woods stuff and had a dead leg bruise for two weeks (old git 54yrs takes eons to heal these days!).

Richard