Sign in to follow this  

What has Broken in the engine

2008 DRZ400

Rode the bike for 200km, stoped for a overnight sleep, next morning the bike started fine, ran for about 5 minutes, thevn started to run rough than clunk and was locked up. Trailered it home.

The motor can be rotated backwards but not forward. The oil was full of water, took the clutch cover off, more water.

Any ideas where I should start the pull down and what to look for.

Yes, I have taken the valve cover off, it all looks ok. Yes I will try to do th work myself unless th motors has to be split.

I have the cams out, the engine is not easy to turn over so I think I will take the head off to see what that reveals.

Are you sure its water and not FUEL? It's a common occurrence for the vacuum petcock to fail and flood the engine (locking it up and filling the crankcase).

• Like 1

Are you sure its water and not FUEL? It's a common occurrence for the vacuum petcock to fail and flood the engine (locking it up and filling the crankcase).

Thanks for the suggestion but It's definately green coolant.

Did you take the spark plug out and try to rotate the engine forward? It could just be hydro-locked.

Yes, the spark plug is out, the welch plugs in the top of the cylinder are ok , the motor will turn over but feels tight.

Before removing the cylinder head I might take clutch side covers off to see if a gear has come loose and damaged the case.

I have now found the problem but not sure what the fix is yet, the balance shaft is hitting the connecting rod. If the engine is rotated backwards its ok but it is a little tight, but if I rotate the motor in the correct direction the balane shaft will hit the con rod and stop the motor from turning over.

I have the cylinder off and can see the balance shaft hitting the con rod.

I see in the manual there are locating pins lining up the balance driving and driven gears, my guess is one of these pins have broken, may someone out there with more motor experience can enlighten me..

The latest update, I found the cause, the nut holding the cam gear which is the same nut the holds the balance shaft drive gear in line. Now it should only be a matter of lining up all the gear marks and tightening the driven and drive gear nuts to the torque.

That explains why the motor would not turnover but yet to find how the coolant got into the motor oil.

Edited by motolink

Finally found a crack in the right hand engine case around the balance shaft case bearing. Looks like a big job ahead.

Motolink, tough news, how many km on the motor and has it been apart before.

Infortunately, I couldn't think of any way for that coolant to be there that would have a quick and happy ending.

It's motor out time, it looks straight forward except for the swing arm shaft. Any special instructions for this job.

Round stock and a big hammer.  Take the swing arm bolt out before loosening the rest of the motor mounts.