No more Cody Webb

Michael Jordan? You mean the washed up NBA star who does underwear commercials?

My point was not that he is playing or not but his legacy is untouched in todays players. Your "there is always someone better than the next guy" isn't accurate in the near future. If Webb is so easily replaceable then he wasn't very good to start with.

Never heard of RPM until it was mentioned here. At least we still have Nick Burson. He is really really fast and good in the desert. 

To advertise which is what racing is, needs to cover most types of markets that the buyers are in. This includes desert and endures either extreme or not otherwise you don't achieve the most ROI. Where has Burson consistently placed this year?? Top 10?? Same goes for Sode. Beta needs a top guy to run for the championship and let these others grow. Or start over smaller with the focus on more wins vs. entries.

They need a couple guys that have the talent to consistently make the podium, or put up a contingency program and offer a little better racer incentives with bonuses for year end championships.

Beta's two strokes are right there in the hunt as midwest-east coast race machines, the four strokes are getting there.

My guess is Webb will be persuaded to ride the 4t over the 2t, KTM dealers always seem the be full of thumpers that need to be discounted at years end, "Win on Sunday sell on Monday". Beta had it right with Webb, I for one hope he sucks on his Indian motorcycle and comes back home to his Beta family.               

• Like 2

They need a couple guys that have the talent to consistently make the podium, or put up a contingency program and offer a little better racer incentives with bonuses for year end championships.

Beta's two strokes are right there in the hunt as midwest-east coast race machines, the four strokes are getting there.

My guess is Webb will be persuaded to ride the 4t over the 2t, KTM dealers always seem the be full of thumpers that need to be discounted at years end, "Win on Sunday sell on Monday". Beta had it right with Webb, I for one hope he sucks on his Indian motorcycle and comes back home to his Beta family.               

Those KTM/Husqvarna are not Indian produced. Sadly we all will see a well seasoned rider make it look easy and beat all the Beta's on the starting line. Bigger surprise will be to see consistently a Beta in main now that Webb is on the other side.

I believe that the comment on time restraints may point out that this was a big reason in change, if this is the case and RPM allows Cody the time the study & finish his degree - then that shows a mature, well thinking young man. You can only ride at the levels he as attained for a relatively short time then what do you do? Now I will say that I don't know for sure that this is the main reason, but it does make sense to me. All of us that have competed in the past know what it's like to fall off the skill levels you once had and how difficult some things now are that you once did not think about or consider that difficult. JMHO

As to the comments that it will be hard to find someone to compete at his level, I ask, how many knew of Cody in the first place? You only have to look at young Cullens and realize that there are always riders coming up and will eventually be up there. I am glad that Cody Webb put Beta on the map and introduced me to a bike that I really enjoy even if I only have 1/10th of the skill level.

Crap Sherco? Those and the Gas Gas look to be really cool bikes.

Time will tell. Please keep in mind there is always someone better than the next guy. The only reason that we see a lot of podium finishes with a KTM is because the vast numbers of those bikes compared to anything else.

I am confused by your seeming implication that the KTM's are not capable equipment in comparison to the Beta, hence my "ridiculous" post. I am not referring to the ability of the rider. I am not a KTM guy but I really do not think Webb will be handicapped by the KTM. In fact I really think he will find a much better platform with all the additional help he will get from the team. There is no way the Beta team support  can match the KTM team effort. 

My point was not that he is playing or not but his legacy is untouched in todays players. Your "there is always someone better than the next guy" isn't accurate in the near future. If Webb is so easily replaceable then he wasn't very good to start with.

Cody Webb is a very good rider but is replaceable with someone just as good.

I am confused by your seeming implication that the KTM's are not capable equipment in comparison to the Beta, hence my "ridiculous" post. I am not referring to the ability of the rider. I am not a KTM guy but I really do not think Webb will be handicapped by the KTM. In fact I really think he will find a much better platform with all the additional help he will get from the team. There is no way the Beta team support can match the KTM team effort.

He will not be handicapped as long as the bike can complete a race without breaking. KTM support sucks! I tried to get a radiator cap from the factory truck at a race. I was pretty much laughed at for even asking. Kawasaki OTOH would help out any racer with parts as long as they were racing their brand.

Of course I'm not one of the elite factory guys. But it just goes to show you how much they care about the average guy racing and putting down hard earned money for the brand.

• Like 1

Finding, attracting, and hiring world-class trials riders (like Taddy & Cody) to come over and WIN and dominate at endurocross will likely take some time, money, and effort.   

Replacing Cody probably won't be the easiest thing to do in short order.    

Whatever... Hey Cody is awesome and actually I'm surprised Beta has him for so long. Beta is a small company with not a lot of money I would think..at least not like ktm. Beta would have to be huge and sell tons of bikes. It isn't. It's a great company that has great bikes but not alot are sold. They have just been here a few years with incredible growth and success in a super short time . It's comparing a small local chain of burger joints that make great food with Mcdonalds. Hey power to Cody and good luck to him.. and we will have a bunch of other great riders to cheer for and watch.. Kyle Redmond is an awesome rider. Lets see what happens. We have Danny Mcanney. We have Jonny Aubert. We had Lampkin before.. and with the more popularity of the brand we will have more... KTM is the big dog in town and they pay the big money. They are the new york yankees.. so that doesnt mean other teams don't beat them with a fraction of the money paid.  .  Hey I like Max Gerston. Look at how awesome he has become competing with the top guys in the world... and he's just a guy with some talent and willingness to go for it that is now competing with the best in the world.. cool. No big name. No lots of money. Just going for it and placing among the finest in endurocross and extreme races.  I like that! Hey who knows? Redmond could kick ass on a Beta!!! He's a bad ass rider and could do way better with this new opportunity!!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

He will not be handicapped as long as the bike can complete a race without breaking. KTM support sucks! I tried to get a radiator cap from the factory truck at a race. I was pretty much laughed at for even asking. Kawasaki OTOH would help out any racer with parts as long as they were racing their brand.

Of course I'm not one of the elite factory guys. But it just goes to show you how much they care about the average guy racing and putting down hard earned money for the brand.

Were you racing at this national event when you asked for parts?? were you wearing KTM items??  I seen the KTM trailer at a demo day give away a clutch master cylinder off a demo bike mid-way thru the day for a rider that crashed in the woods. I also was next to a rider that KTM drop-shipped parts to his house at a DS/Adventure ride. They were just a demo trailer with no extra parts. We all have different experiences with these companies at these events with different employees. I have seen all brands at one point of time support the average guy, then brush them off the next day. Beta is no exception!

Whatever... Hey Cody is awesome and actually I'm surprised Beta has him for so long. Beta is a small company with not a lot of money I would think..at least not like ktm. Beta would have to be huge and sell tons of bikes. It isn't. It's a great company that has great bikes but not alot are sold. They have just been here a few years with incredible growth and success in a super short time . It's comparing a small local chain of burger joints that make great food with Mcdonalds. Hey power to Cody and good luck to him.. and we will have a bunch of other great riders to cheer for and watch.. Kyle Redmond is an awesome rider. Lets see what happens. We have Danny Mcanney. We have Jonny Aubert. We had Lampkin before.. and with the more popularity of the brand we will have more... KTM is the big dog in town and they pay the big money. They are the new york yankees.. so that doesnt mean other teams don't beat them with a fraction of the money paid.  .  Hey I like Max Gerston. Look at how awesome he has become competing with the top guys in the world... and he's just a guy with some talent and willingness to go for it that is now competing with the best in the world.. cool. No big name. No lots of money. Just going for it and placing among the finest in endurocross and extreme races.  I like that! Hey who knows? Redmond could kick ass on a Beta!!! He's a bad ass rider and could do way better with this new opportunity!!!

Beta is much smaller then KTM and other Jap brands. I bet with Beta supporting a couple teams is the same bottom line impact that KTM does with all their teams including MX. KTM's MX cost alone is in the millions then add in all the Dakar, Baja and enduro's. My point is Beta can have these riders IF they wanted them. The excuse of being a small company is gone when you hit national events and place high. Factory supported racing is expensive but even more expensive when it's done half heartedly.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

Were you racing at this national event when you asked for parts?? were you wearing KTM items??  I seen the KTM trailer at a demo day give away a clutch master cylinder off a demo bike mid-way thru the day for a rider that crashed in the woods. I also was next to a rider that KTM drop-shipped parts to his house at a DS/Adventure ride. They were just a demo trailer with no extra parts. We all have different experiences with these companies at these events with different employees. I have seen all brands at one point of time support the average guy, then brush them off the next day. Beta is no exception!

I was in fact racing at a National District 37 H&H (I was trying to get the cap for my racing buddy so he would not DNF). I actually have a KTM. My experience with KTM overall has been horrible with parts and reliability. With my Hondas, Kawasaki's and Betas my experience has been great. Never once have I had a negative "different experience" with "different employees" with Beta. In all honesty I can't comment on Beta's support at the races as I no longer race.

I'm pretty darn sure that some of these up and coming Beta Factory racers are going to be impressive. We all know how it works. Racers (like boxers) have a very short career. Most are competitive at top level from 20-30 years old. Sure you have a Mike Brown and a few others. But those are the exception rather than the rule. 

Beta is much smaller then KTM and other Jap brands. I bet with Beta supporting a couple teams is the same bottom line impact that KTM does with all their teams including MX. KTM's MX cost alone is in the millions then add in all the Dakar, Baja and enduro's. My point is Beta can have these riders IF they wanted them. The excuse of being a small company is gone when you hit national events and place high. Factory supported racing is expensive but even more expensive when it's done half heartedly.

Ok that's your opinion.. but I don't think they are going half heartedly . Where is that thinking coming from? ...and I don't think they have to pay for and get the very very best to get the exposure and advertising for racing.  I mean just the fact that Beta has guys running in a wide variety of races (not all.like you say) gives the riding public something to follow and notice. That's enough.. I'm actually shocked that this little company has had their bikes winning endurocross and almost winning championships!! Here's the thing. I really don't think Ricky Carmicael sold that many rm's for suzuki considering how many millions they gave him. Actually I think Suzuki ended up losing overall considering the huge cost.. How many RM's do the company need to sell just to cover just RC's income?..plus everything else that goes with a team. In the end guys don't really take what the pro's ride soo seriously. I mean Gasgas isn't fielding the best ..(Is there anyone riding for them now?) and lots would buy that bike because it's a great product. I mean when I first bought Beta in 09 I didn't look at who was winning on the bike so much as the bike and what it would do personally for me and what kind of service would I get. No one knew what the hell a Beta was then anyway .

• Like 1

Beta is making a big effort racing the WEC with a top-class rider like Aubert and have some good young guy on the Boano junior team (2 world titles last week).

Endurocross is (imo) completely in AM Beta hands and they have to compete with Blazusiak with a top-notch full factory bike...

I am a huge Beta fan but is impossible for me to say that a privateer Beta is a better bike than a factory KTM...

I do not buy bikes because of the wins, i don't race seriously (at least, not even close to a decent level...) and i want a fun bike, not a fast bike.

• Like 2

Beta is making a big effort racing the WEC with a top-class rider like Aubert and have some good young guy on the Boano junior team (2 world titles last week).E

Endurocross is (imo) completely in AM Beta hands and they have to compete with Blazusiak with a top-notch full factory bike...

I am a huge Beta fan but is impossible for me to say that a privateer Beta is a better bike than a factory KTM...

I do not buy bikes because of the wins, i don't race seriously (at least, not even close to a decent level...) and i want a fun bike, not a fast bike.

Exactly and most Beta riders just enjoy riding . They aren't the best in the world and they aren't the shittiest. They are just riders. I think that is why "The Play bike" works for Beta. The bikes are easy to ride and easy to ride fast if you want and I feel pretty happy riding mine . If anyone wants to make their Beta a factory bike they can.. just contact Boano racing or Stillwell and ambeta and you can make a full blown factory bike if you want.. but stock out of the box the bike is great. I don't need Cody Webb to sell me on the bike. I like watching him and following him and Deny philippaerts and McCanney and Kvarnstrom etc.. cool  ..Jonny Aubert is bad ass.. but that's just the gravy added on. The bike is enough.

• Like 1

Exactly and most Beta riders just enjoy riding . They aren't the best in the world and they aren't the shittiest. They are just riders. I think that is why "The Play bike" works for Beta. The bikes are easy to ride and easy to ride fast if you want and I feel pretty happy riding mine . If anyone wants to make their Beta a factory bike they can.. just contact Boano racing or Stillwell and ambeta and you can make a full blown factory bike if you want.. but stock out of the box the bike is great. I don't need Cody Webb to sell me on the bike. I like watching him and following him and Deny philippaerts and McCanney and Kvarnstrom etc.. cool  ..Jonny Aubert is bad ass.. but that's just the gravy added on. The bike is enough.

+1

FYI, Johnny and Luis Correia (the Portoguese E3 factory rider) are really cool, very polite and very low profile guys. Don't forget that Johnny is 2 (or 3?...) times world champion and ISDE overall winner.

i know nothing regarding CW move to KTM but I feel that he should have had better coaching........

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 1