Sign in to follow this  

2014 crf450 cutting out when warm

Hey guys from day one my crf450 has stalled very very easy and really takes a extra rev to even move off from a stand still cold or warm , in slow turns I find my self having to go in to 1st gear to stop it stalling and it still stalls at times, when the bike gets hot it also cuts out on idle , there is now 10 hours on the bike and my honda dealer is not helping much tbh I don't even think they believe there's a problem with it

Hear is a quick vid of the bike cutting out , any one had this problem before ?

Any help would be great I'm starting to give up on this bike and I've only had it a month , been in contact with honda uk today hoping they can help

Edited by ep82chris

Is this your first injected honda? They do stall pretty easily. Running the idle at 2000-2200rpm will help, you can change the sprockets to gear it down if you find first gear is to high, lastly a heavy flywheel will help reduce its stall tendency.

Edited by nzgsr

Is this your first injected honda? They do stall pretty easily. Running the idle at 2000-2200rpm will help, you can change the sprockets to gear it down if you find first gear is to high, lastly a heavy flywheel will help reduce its stall tendency.

idle is set at 2150ish it is yes but I've been on other 2014 crf 450s and they don't stall any thing like this , the stalling on idle can't be rite tho

My bike done this, turned out to be a dirty fuel filter 09 model tho

My brother has a new 2014 450R.. I rode it this past weekend on the local mx track. Runs great and does not stall at idle or at slower speeds.

Have you physically checked the gap on the spark plug.? Sometimes bikes will come from the dealer with the gap way out of limits. If the plug is good, it could be a gummed up fuel filter. Some dealers put fuel additive in the gas tank to keep the gas from going bad. The down side is that if they add too much, it will make bikes run really bad, and they will bog/stall at idle when you blip the throttle, and also at slower rpm's/speeds. You may want to drain/flush the tank, and make sure the fuel filter is not gummed up.  

I would not think it could be anything serious on a brand new bike with 10 hrs on it. My guess is it's either a bad plug, bad gas, or possibly a gummed up fuel filter. 

Out of curiosity, have you checked the valves to make sure they are within limits.?

Good luck.

Should add the dealer swaped fuel pump , condenser , coil , plug and air temp sensor still no improvements it's back in today as far as I know they have not checked the valve clearances , due to it still being under warranty I don't want to ajust the tps

Is it happening when you're riding?? Or is it simply stalling when idling? I'm thinking it the "flame out" issue.

I have the same year and model and mine is has been doing the same thing since day one, I just posted about it actually. I've been compensating for a year and a half with a little over reving from the start since I don't have good trouble shooting skills. If you've found the answer I would be very appreciative to hear it.

I have the same year and model and mine is has been doing the same thing since day one, I just posted about it actually. I've been compensating for a year and a half with a little over reving from the start since I don't have good trouble shooting skills. If you've found the answer I would be very appreciative to hear it.

I have the same issue with my 13' I'm the 3rd owner, valves were good, new spark/coil, clean air filter..leaning towards fuel/TPS. My bike has also been backfiring to a stall, after riding for an hour or so. That might be my TT stator/flywheel shorting when hot..

tps is off ,I'd bet vs tps value in the computer. Mine was off. Shop reset it to match values in the vortex computer ,fixed. 

Is it happening when you're riding?? Or is it simply stalling when idling? I'm thinking it the "flame out" issue.

What is shown in the video is cut out at idle. Flame outs in these Honda's happens usually when the throttle is closed and subsequently opened quickly. Both conditions are unacceptable though, and afaik no one has a definitive fix for the flame out problem.  The decompressor spring mod may help low idle stalling, but its not a sure bet. I would look at tps value first.   Ive tried fuels, vortex, aftermarket throttle body, decompressor mod, etc, nothing helped. Valves in spec. Finally went back to 2t. 

Edited by pieplatesnductape