Royal Purple - Max-Cycle Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil

Has anyone tried this oil in their XR250R's yet? I'm fixing to service mine and wanted to try it. I run Royal Purple in my 2500 HD 6.0 vortex, automotive oil of coarse and it's made a little difference in MPG. I want to see if anyone has tried Max-Cycle and if so, do you like it? They claim cooler engine temps for air cooled bikes, which is great for us endure riders ripping around on our XR's. Let me know if anyone is using it, I'm going to try it...

Ride fast, Ride hard, Ride safe.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/max-cycle-motorcycle-engine-oil/

I have heard very good things about this oil.  I have a test document somewhere showing it outperformed Mobil 1.  I'll see if I can find it...

See here:  http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Good stuff here too:  http://www.realtruck.com/shared/pdf/manufacturers/81/royal_purple_report.pdf

Edited by VortecCPI

Thanks for the info Vortec. Yesterday I was able to find max-cycle 10w40, but I'm trying to hunt down the 20w50. I plan on servicing my bike today so I can ride and twist the throttle tomorrow. I'm all for trying it in my bike.

Thanks again,

2000 XR250R

135 jet

Snorkel mod.

No baffle

New gearing 13/51

Bone stock

Thanks for the info Vortec. Yesterday I was able to find max-cycle 10w40, but I'm trying to hunt down the 20w50. I plan on servicing my bike today so I can ride and twist the throttle tomorrow. I'm all for trying it in my bike.

Thanks again,

2000 XR250R

135 jet

Snorkel mod.

No baffle

New gearing 13/51

Bone stock

I just put a 52-tooth rear sproket on my buddy's 2003 XR250 so he's now at 13-52.  How do you like your 13-51 setup?

Edited by VortecCPI

It's a little steep, she climbs like a mofo. I hardly use 1st gear, unless I want to tow my 2500HD 4x4. After I changed the rear sprocket, I almost rat trapped myself in 2nd gear, lol! I'm thinking about dropping down to a 50 tooth. I may not see or feel any difference with that setup, but it's a popular one.

13/51 = 3:92 vs 13/50 = 3:84

How does you buddy like that combo?

Back to the oil, I just finished servicing my bike with the 10w40 max-cycle. I couldn't find 20w50. Man It's gold in a bottle. I bought 2 quarts at $17.49 ea. After topped off the bike, I ran it around the block to see if there was a noticeable difference, but was there... I couldn't tell. Pissed of the a few folks in the neighborhood, but they'll get over it...they always do. They didn't like me romping on it and riding wheelies. It could have been the middle finger I gave back to a dude than ran out of his driveway showing me his manicured middle finger, that freaking yuppy. I wish I had a GoPro .. I would do it again and record it..Haha!

I'm 39 years old, if I want to wheelie my bike, I'm going to do it.

Edited by Silverado 996

Wow.  very nice.  That XR is in great shape.

We haven't tried the 13-52 combination yet.  It's been raining here but when it dries up I'll haul it out for a test.  I too was thinking a 50-tooth might be a better choice.  Here are some of the numbers I worked up:

• CRF230 13-50 gears = 3.85:1
  • CRF230 12-50 gears = 4.17:1
  • XR250 13-48 gears = 3.69:1
  • XR250 13-52 gears = 4.00:1

We are trying to get the XR250 a little more grunt for the very short, tight, technical tracks we run.  My CRF230 really comes out of turns fast due to the stupid amounts of low-end torque.  The XR250 engine is great but Honda traded the low-end for the middle and it just won't come out of turns as hard.  With the 13-52 setup it is very close now to the 12-50 setup I used to run on the CRF230.

Thanks, not bad for a 14 year old tank. I ride her like a 2 stroke, slip the clutch a tad coming out of the turns. Have you tried it on your CRF? Its just habit all of my bikes have been smokers, until I got this one. I tend to miss them, the smokers.. until I ride my XR. I love this bike, the picture hopefully so that. I have a 12 tooth front sprocket. I bought it to test for a 50 tooth rear. $10 vs $50. You may want to do the same, just in case.

12/48 = 4.00 to 1

13/51 = 3.92 to 1

I'm off to bed, got to load my bike and gear in 4 hours.

2000 XR250R

135 jet

Snorkel mod.

No baffle

New gearing 13/51

Bone stock

Good deal, was first gear still useable? Overall were you pleased with it?

We have a lot of billy goat type of areas where a super-low first gear is a benefit.  Typically we start out in second gear and go from there.  The XR250 now comes out of turns like mad in second gear, which is what we were looking for.  It's still not quite like my CRF230 but it makes it up in the midrange very quickly.

A lot of people don't like the very-low first gear of bikes like the CRF230 and XR250.  We like it even lower so we can manage some of the mess we find ourselves in without worrying about flame outs, throttle response, wheel spin, etc.

The 12-50 on the CRF230 and 13-54 on the XR250 feels kind of like putting a 4:11 rear end in your 3.73 car.  It may not be good for the quarter but it sure gets it done in the eighth.  Our tracks are extremely short, tight, and technical so it works for us.

Right on, did you have to change the stock chain guide because of the diameter of the 54 tooth sprocket or is it still stock? Any issues with that?

It does rub a bit as you can see in the picture so the setup is not ideal.  We could solve the problem by slotting the outboard holes if need be.  It is a wear item so I don't think it's a big deal.

A 12-tooth counter sprocket would be better with the stock 48-tooth rear sprocket.  The 52 is what I had laying around for a test so if we like it we'll probably do the 12-48 deal.

IMG_1002.JPG

Edited by VortecCPI

It does rub a bit as you can see in the picture so the setup is not ideal.  We could solve the problem by slotting the outboard holes if need be.  It is a wear item so I don't think it's a big deal.

A 12-tooth counter sprocket would be better with the stock 48-tooth rear sprocket.  The 52 is what I had laying around for a test so if we like it we'll probably do the 12-48 deal.

I made an adapter to lower mine and move it forward by sandwiching two pieces of 1/4" aluminum plate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting you know I put my 48 tooth rear sprocket back on and installed my JT 12 tooth sprocket I had in my tool box. Went from a 3.92:1 to 4.00:1. Crazy sick 2 and 3 gear pull! I like it much better that my old 13/51 setup. Riding tomorrow we shall see how well that setup is in the dirt and trails. ?

I purchased the 12 tooth sprocket about 6 months ago. I serviced my chain today to get ready for tomorrow and noticed my 13 tooth was a tad worn. Since a 12/51 would have been to steep I figured I should dig out the 48 tooth and blow the dust off the 12t and install it.

Have you used max cycle yet??

Edited by Silverado 996