Sign in to follow this  

Ktm e-start issue, need help with diagnosis

I have a 2009 KTM 300 xcw, the bikes ridden with issues and just recently my e start just stopped working. I have found some posts but non could answer my exact issue. I have a good battery I bought it about a month ago, as well as a new wiring harness and fuse box. The e start was working fine and just a few days ago it stopped working out of no where. When I press the button I just hear a clicking and nothing else. Now I think its the starter but I want to be sure before I shell out some serious money for a new one. Could i just buy the brushes if it is the starter, or should I buy a whole new rebuild kit? Please let me know how I could diagnose this to make sure it is my starter. If anybody knows the answers please share. Thank you

Yes, the starter can be rebuilt.  Normally if you can hear a starter "click" but it won't spin then the next step is to check you battery voltage when it's under a load (i.e. after the click).  It's possible that your battery is just really weak.

If your REALLY careful you could try to jump it off a car battery ~ 12 volts is 12 volts.  If the starter spins then you'll know if it's the battery or the starter.

I would isolate the starter and jump that if it works its probably a bad ground somewhere if it didnt then try a new starter

Alright thanks guys for your help. I think my starter is definitely the issue. I will take my starter apart and if its not to messed up I will just buy the brushes but if it looks bad I will buy a rebuild kit.