Gear weight

While out on the garage doing maintenance on the bike, I got the wild hair to weigh my boots (Gaerne SG12"s). I was a bit surprised that they were 5 lbs each. That means 10 lbs just in boots. I had always estimated my full kit to be around 15 lbs. Now, it's got to be 20-25 lbs, especially with a full camelback. Most of the stuff I wear and/or carry I consider to be necessary (why else would I carry it?)  I ride woods and single track and get out there a ways sometimes, but I sure would like to shed some of this weight. Maybe I should just eat less. Any Ideas from the TT crew?

25 lbs is average, that what i add when setting sag (if im too lazy to kit up). boots  10 helmet 5 neck brace 5 ect... it all adds up.

if you are trying to save weight vented gear espically pants are something to look into there is a lot of hidden weight in pants with leather reinforcing. 

High dollar boots almost always weigh substantially more than less expensive boots, and you may find that a medium price boot provides adequate protection for your needs. I've stopped wearing my Sg 10s in favor of a pair of Fox Forma Pro boots that I picked up used for $50. I have found that when I wear lighter boots I have a lot less knee pain and swelling than with heavier boots (probably because they have a lot less inertia), and they provide plenty of protection for woods riding/racing.

• Like 1

I have found that when I wear lighter boots I have a lot less knee pain and swelling than with heavier boots (probably because they have a lot less inertia), and they provide plenty of protection for woods riding/racing.

I have arthritic knees and find that the heavier (SG 10s) actually help me ride for longer periods of time.

Damn. And that's just your backpack?

That's without my camera gear too.  Yeah.

To be fair, it is an airbag pack; there's a gas cylinder and airbag/harness in there that adds some weight... so by its nature it's going to weigh a little more than just a standard backpack. 

Then you throw in shovel, probe, radio/phone, survival gear, spare batteries, food/drinks, extra clothing/gear... adds up.

Adventure mode, engage!

DSC01509_-L.jpg

• 3 years later...

Just came across this thread because I'm really considering a bike with 190-200lb factory connection. I weigh 170lb dry and I have sg10s, chest guard, helmet, then a back pack with tools, water, extra gas, food, phone, wallet, keys, cellphone mount, spare filter...Looking at this now it seems ideal for woods. What are your opinions?