Sign in to follow this  

Fork riding-staying low

Spent my last two rides struggling all day to keep the front end up. Fork rides up in the travel and springs are correct but going over roller, whoop, dip, drop away, etc forks want to stay on the ground. Almost impossible to lift front end over anything, when I gas it I just hit stuff harder rather than lifting over it. This is woods riding and I am sure you guys know about "floating" the front over an obstacle in the trail. Also basically impossible to wheely, not one in two days. Only time I can get front wheel off the ground is hump/bump in the trail and that does not work consistently.  Forks feel like they have a huge magnet sucking them into everything. Occasionally feels like my arms are going to be pulled out of the shoulder  sockets. Shock sag is perfect. This just started after the latest revalve. Very fatiguing to ride like this all day and often scary. Also, front end is hard to control in sand, always "hunting/wiggling" worse than normal. What external adjustments do you fellas suggest. Thanks.

Edited by YHGEORGE

OK, thanks. Tuner suggested setting of 12 out, I am at 14 now.  How far out can I go and not cause other problems? I have a total of 18-20 available I think.  

Make sure your right fork is not mis-aligned on the axle and/or your triple clamps are not over tightened. Maybe I'm mis understanding you but thats my gut reaction when I read your post.

Started at 12 which was tuners suggestion and increased to 14. Also took a turn out of rear shock preload to increase sag. Did sag thing first which did not seem to make a difference and then did the fork rebound adjustment. No substantial difference at this stage. Also, forks are aligned and torqued properly.

Started at 12 which was tuners suggestion and increased to 14. Also took a turn out of rear shock preload to increase sag. Did sag thing first which did not seem to make a difference and then did the fork rebound adjustment. No substantial difference at this stage. Also, forks are aligned and torqued properly.

Why did you go 14 why not 10?

Is this the xr400? Wer done the revalve for u? Did u talk it over with him?

General comment: if this happened after the latest revalve, it would be really good to know what changes were made or we're shooting in the dark. Definitely need to post the stacks or talk to the tuner. Would also be nice if you mentioned what bike this was for.

Started at 12 which was tuners suggestion and increased to 14. Also took a turn out of rear shock preload to increase sag. Did sag thing first which did not seem to make a difference and then did the fork rebound adjustment. No substantial difference at this stage. Also, forks are aligned and torqued properly.

Make a (much) bigger change on the rebound clickers. I bet half of riders (myself included) couldn't feel a 2 click rebound adjustment. I'd try setting them to like 18 clicks out; go big or go home, it'll give you a lot more information about the problem.

Why did you go 14 why not 10?

Going in would be slower rebound, it sounds like that is the opposite of his problem?

General comment: if this happened after the latest revalve, it would be really good to know what changes were made or we're shooting in the dark. Definitely need to post the stacks or talk to the tuner. Would also be nice if you mentioned what bike this was for.

Make a (much) bigger change on the rebound clickers. I bet half of riders (myself included) couldn't feel a 2 click rebound adjustment. I'd try setting them to like 18 clicks out; go big or go home, it'll give you a lot more information about the problem.

Going in would be slower rebound, it sounds like that is the opposite of his problem?

You right, just in case there is a misjudgment of the bike reaction!

Some of the description sound like too much Reb

And going the opposite way doesn't cost nothing but a little bit of time

Thanks guys, I do appreciate all the good suggestions. Sorry, bike is 01 Honda CR250. I think I will go much lighter on reb(18) out and see what happens. Yes, tuner did suggest a big change also.  Tuner made the mods to shims(woods-roots-sand) and I do not know what they are. I am doing ALL I can do externally, do not want to have to go back inside. Don't have time for shipping with a couple events coming up quick. Thanks again. 

Edited by YHGEORGE

What you think is a problem with the forks is not always the forks.

Having said that they might just be too soft and dropping down or possibly the shock is too hard and messing up the balance of the bike.

My money is on a bit of both.

Along ith less rebound, used your legs not your arms to preload.

Drop down, bending your knees. That will load the front end, then get way back and ease on the throttle.

It is all about timing when doing it that way.

Mark

This sounds like a lot more than just clickers or shim stacks. I'd also suspect some sort of binding/alignment issue too. Does the fork seem to compress and rebound normally at a standstill?

This sounds like a lot more than just clickers or shim stacks. I'd also suspect some sort of binding/alignment issue too. Does the fork seem to compress and rebound normally at a standstill?

Yep. I am very careful to align and torque things during installation. I also set the lower pinch bolts two ft lbs less than the specs require. This problem arose after the latest revalve and nothing I try has resolved it. One more adjusting session this weekend. Told my wife I would never ride this thing last Sunday evening but I just can't up on it. Great bike otherwise.

Sounds like the valving was gutted in a crude attempt to make it plush.  Large float and soft base will have it squatting down in the travel under normal conditions, worse if springs too soft.  Seen that before.

Sounds like the valving was gutted in a crude attempt to make it plush.  Large float and soft base will have it squatting down in the travel under normal conditions, worse if springs too soft.  Seen that before.

My thread title is probably confusing, sorry. While riding along the forks stay up in the travel very well, not sagging at all. The problem is that the front end wants  to  stay on the ground all the time. Beyond extremely difficult to even wheely or carry the front end over a water bar, little ditch, puddle or anything. Any time I want to pop the front end up over something I just hit it harder, that gets ugly quick. The rear is not popping up like it has too little rebound, it just feels as if the front will absolutely not leave the ground and ends up in a nose dive attitude. I do not mean nose dive under braking, no problem there.

Edited by YHGEORGE

soften your rear rebound...did they revalve the shock too?

Edited by cj_wai