Sign in to follow this  

Baja Legend Ron Bishop Passes Away

Offroad motorcycle racing legend Ron Bishop passed away from natural causes late last week. Ron's list of motorcycle racing accomplishments is far too long and expansive to detail here but it goes without saying he was one of the most accomplished and experienced off-road motorcycle racers of his generation and a pioneer of Baja racing. In 2007 Ron achieved one of his greatest milestones becoming the only person to race 40 consecutive Baja 1000s on a motorcycle (he shared this with Rod Hall who did the same in a four-wheeled vehicle).

He was an incredible motorcycle racer, mechanic, electrician, teacher (if you were patient) and an all around great guy. I owe a lot to Ron. He shared countless stories with me over the years and taught me a lot about motorcycle mechanics. There's a bit of irony in Ron's most enduring lesson and one I will take with me to my grave:

7 Ps: Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Cheers to Ron Bishop - one hell of a bad ass.

10249210_1530160970564130_27725147_n.jpg

Edited by Justin Hambleton
  • Like 6

From the Los Ancianos MC website:

The Los Ancianos M/C and the off-road motorcycling community have lost one of the epic long distance off-road motorcycle racers and enthusiasts of recent times. Ron Bishop, (aka “RB” by his many friends and admirers), passed away peacefully in his sleep at his home in Escondido on sometime in the evening of Friday, September 19, 2014, of apparent natural causes. Ron was a huge part of the Los Ancianos history having competed in all the early Los Ancianos Tecate enduros from 1973 until 1990 where he trophied many times and won the grueling Tecate 500 Enduro overall in 1976 and 1977 riding a remarkable factory-sponsored 360cc Rokon Automatic with “pull start”. Numerous Los Ancianos members served as the pit crew for Ron in Baja races over the years and others have been Ron’s co-riders in several Baja off-road races.

• Like 2