Sign in to follow this  

Sell me on a 2007 250 XC

So I am in the market for a used 250 smoker for a general-pupose bike...some C-class MX duty...I am not a big jumper by any stretch, and GP-type stuff, free-rides and such.  Having ridden and raced virtually all sizes and types, I am looking for a 250.  I raced a 1998 Honda CR 250 a decade ago...moved to 250Fs for racing, then several cheap 125s for play.  I just rode my brother's 2005 CRF 450 on a big track and also an off-road loop Sunday and know I do not want a 450.  At a recent Yamaha demo day, I got to ride everything.  I had just bought a 2013 YZ 250F and was so jazzed on the 2013 YZ 250 2-stroke.  I know the 2007 XC is not quite the same....but would it be similar enough for what I describe?  I have ridden several  KTM 200s, both XC and Sx and did not like the overly heavy flywheel sensation of that motor.  Is the 250 XC more aggressive?  Thanks for your replies.

Edited by thsp485

Another option would be a 2006+ yz 250.  They haven't changed much since '06.  Great bikes, versatile, probably less expensive than the ktm.  Ktm's are nice.  I have a 2012 250sx I just bought.  But the yz's are nice too...  plus you're already familiar with the brand....

I have both, the yz is a 2001 but is a 265.  Much more hit and is difficult in low traction situations.  Slipping the clutch in 2nd going slow is the only way in the off camber sections and rocky no traction uphills and is still very difficult to handle.  It is harder to stay on the tight trails too.  My xc is more tunable with the power valve adjuster.  The xc also has a 3 gal tank and and no ski slope up the tank.  The yz has more power and hit and is more fun but doesn't handle as well cus it has the old forks and shock.

So I just got back from looking at the bike.  Needs rear wheel bearings, front brake bled, maybe steering head bearings (not sure, though).  Bike is fast, though.

Edited by thsp485