Sign in to follow this  

Should I bump up when I have the money?

Hello, i've had a yz125 for a couple months now and this is my first bike. I'm more of a woods rider than a track rider and i'm just curious if I should get a 150, 250, or 300xc when I have the money (would take 2 years, just got my first job) or just stick with my yz. Thanks!

Edited by gurter

I agree, start saving now. In 2 years you will have outgrown the YZ, both physically and skills-wise. Then double your current displacement, with a 250-300.

Riding a small displacement bike in the woods, especially anything technical, makes you have to develop an aggressive riding style and techniques, all of which will be beneficial when you move up to a bigger bike. You won't have to work as hard with a more powerful bike, but you'll have the skills to if you get into situations that require you to.

I have just purchased a 2009 ktm 300 xcw. I had a kx 125 then a yz250 now I have a 2009 ktm 300 xcw. I would suggest getting a 2006 or newer yz250. The suspension on these ktms doesnt work without a $600 stabilizer. The ktms are simply money pits. I had to get my suspension revalved by factory connection which cost $900. To start I bought this ktm for $3700. Which is what they go for and it really wasnt in that good of shape to begin with. My friend has an 06 yz250 with stock suspension and the thing handles and rides better than my worked 300xcw in the woods! The only cost you will have for a yz250 is $2500 for a completely perfect mint bike then $150 for skid plate and bark busters and $100 for a flywheel weight. Then youll be in the A game. (Some may disagree but thats my opinion) get a yz250

I have just purchased a 2009 ktm 300 xcw. I had a kx 125 then a yz250 now I have a 2009 ktm 300 xcw. I would suggest getting a 2006 or newer yz250. The suspension on these ktms doesnt work without a $600 stabilizer. The ktms are simply money pits. I had to get my suspension revalved by factory connection which cost $900. To start I bought this ktm for $3700. Which is what they go for and it really wasnt in that good of shape to begin with. My friend has an 06 yz250 with stock suspension and the thing handles and rides better than my worked 300xcw in the woods! The only cost you will have for a yz250 is $2500 for a completely perfect mint bike then $150 for skid plate and bark busters and $100 for a flywheel weight. Then youll be in the A game. (Some may disagree but thats my opinion) get a yz250

I know its totally your opinion but I disagree entirley.  I love my ktm suspension in the woods... its super soft compared to the mx suspension on my previous bikes.  Then again my bike is 5 years newer than yours which probably makes a huge difference.... I agree on ktm being money pits but thats just because you are always wanting to add things or upgrade stuff!  :)

I know its totally your opinion but I disagree entirley. I love my ktm suspension in the woods... its super soft compared to the mx suspension on my previous bikes. Then again my bike is 5 years newer than yours which probably makes a huge difference.... I agree on ktm being money pits but thats just because you are always wanting to add things or upgrade stuff! :)

thanks for your reply it makes me feel better about owning my ktm. I am going to keep it some more and try to make it work for me since I put 5 grand into it. I just cant seem to melt into it and flow. Maybe im just to weak to handle a 300? I do only weigh 155 pounds, and im in the C class ability range. Maybe I should trade for a 200. What do you think?

thanks for your reply it makes me feel better about owning my ktm. I am going to keep it some more and try to make it work for me since I put 5 grand into it. I just cant seem to melt into it and flow. Maybe im just to weak to handle a 300? I do only weigh 155 pounds, and im in the C class ability range. Maybe I should trade for a 200. What do you think?

what is your experience in riding?  I have ridden woods seriously for probably 15 yrs and consider myself an A class rider as far as skill... maybe not speed and I weigh 170 and have no problem with my 300.  I came from riding a 250f for about 10 years.  If you have little experience riding, it could be that the 300 is a little too much bike at the moment.  I would give it some time, atleast a full riding season if not more and see how its going then.

The good thing about the 300 and the 200 is the Power valve and the ability to change springs and dial in the preload to adjust the power delivery.

Edited by fstbusa

I started woods racing on a KX125 a few years ago and made the switch to a KTM 150XC which I raced for a couple of years before I bumped up to my current 300XC. The poster who mentioned honing your skills on a small bore bike was absolutely correct. My abilities are no where near legendary but now that I'm on a big bore bike my confidence is much better than before. I learned how to do obstacles like rocks, logs and large tires on my 150 and now on the 300 I feel like superman. One question you may want to ask yourself is if you want e-start. Now that I have it, I won't buy a bike with out it again. Being able to restart the bike in an off camber situation is way better than trying to keep my balance as I attempt to kick the bike back to life.

Is there a noteable difference between a 250 2t and the 300? because if i could get a 2006+ yz250 for around $2500, I could have that for next summer.  I already have a skid plate and barkbusters for my yz125 so I'm assuming I could just throw them on the 250 when I get it. I feel if I ride on my 125 for another year, I could begin to handle a yz250 and grow into it.

Edited by gurter

There is a difference between a YZ250 and a KTM300XC/XC-W in power delivery if that is what you are asking. No 250 motocross bike compares in tractability and smooth linear power to a KTM300 unless that 250 has had a flywheel weight and port work. I raced converted MX bikes in the woods for years. I saw how many people were on KTM so i decided to give it a try and bought a 250XC. I will never go back. The suspension is plush, the motor is very smooth but still fast, and I didn't need to add any costs by buying a flywheel weight or other mods for the woods. 

Is there a noteable difference between a 250 2t and the 300? because if i could get a 2006+ yz250 for around $2500, I could have that for next summer. I already have a skid plate and barkbusters for my yz125 so I'm assuming I could just throw them on the 250 when I get it. I feel if I ride on my 125 for another year, I could begin to handle a yz250 and grow into it.

. Well in my 300 I have everything set to the softest power settings (green spring turned out flush with ignition accel cable disconnected) The bike still tends to rip my arms off. I do not remember my yz250 pulling nearly as hard as my 300. My yz250 I had had a flywheel weight, which made it nearly unable to stall. The 300 has even more torque so its even harder to stall which is good but the power curve feels more violent and you tend to leave the bike in 3rd gear all the time so you can get traction even while going very slow. The 300 also vibrates much more than any 250cc, its surprising how much just 50cc will do. The Vibration can give you arm pump pretty bad. By the way the skid plate wont fit on an 06 or newer but the bark busters will.

Hmm...this is making me lean more towards a 250 I don't want to throw myself into a tree if i accidentally throttle it wrong. Now just a question what does a flywheel do?

Every bike has a flywheel...flywheel weights add more inertia. Gives the bike more controlable power, won't rev up as fast, and it won't die as easy for the woods. My exc has a bigger flywheel than a normal mx bike. My rm250 has a dinky flywheel. Put a 10oz weight on it, it helped, but not really as much as I thought it would, but it did help.

Maybe im just to weak to handle a 300? I do only weigh 155 pounds, and im in the C class ability range. Maybe I should trade for a 200. What do you think?

I ride a '13 300, weigh 145 lbs and am 57 years old. Mine was a little unruly at first too. Just spend some time jetting and tuning it to be more docile. As was suggested, the 300 responds well to riding it a gear or two high, so practice that.

I didn't opt for the 200 when I bought my KTM because I don't like having to keep the rpms wound up just to get any power out of it. I like that the 300 will lug.

I just bought an 06 yz250, (MINT for only 2350!) Going to see if its been the bike or me the whole time. If I can ride this bike than its bye bye to the ktm. If im having the same amount of trouble well than im just going to ride the ktm more and get better. (I think its the bike, but you never know until you try)

If the 300 is too powerful or responsive, check the throttle tube as some people put a quick turn motocross tube on the ktms and the 300 will become a monster. With power behaving badly, everything else will seem wrong. Your bike should be great with the suspension modifications you have done (if they did it correctly and you had them fix it for your riding style). Think your slow riding skills when having suspension tuned in. Then when you are tired in the later parts of a ride, it is more forgiving. You're XCW should handle and perform circles around the older yz. But KTM's sit differently and you will need to acclimate to it. Give it time and adjust settings to get it right. You will not regret it...

Hello, i've had a yz125 for a couple months now and this is my first bike. I'm more of a woods rider than a track rider and i'm just curious if I should get a 150, 250, or 300xc when I have the money (would take 2 years, just got my first job) or just stick with my yz. Thanks!

start saving and find friends bikes to ride during the next 2 years. The bike size will pick you if you are honest with yourself. Myself just went back from a 400 4 stroke to a 250 2 stroke. I have had a 300 KTM EXC in the past and she almost made too much power. I have a new 250 xcw and she is perfect with her power. If I was about 50 pounds less, I would have gotten the 200 for the woods. It is just about having fun again:-) and what makes it fun is the right size:-)

I love my KTM, and all I have owned in the past. But you CANNOT go wrong with 06 or newer YZ250. They are the best bikes ever built and able to be ridden everywhere. The bike being virtually unchanged from 06-14 ensures cheap readily available parts for the next 50 years at least. Wouldn't surprise me to see a YZ250 top end kit sold at Wal Mart someday. :thumbsup: 

I am in this huge confusion on what to do because I have another post about 250fs and what to get and i like how they handle and everything but I like the cheapness of a 2t and I can rip on the woods with it. The only thing I don't like about two strokes is getting from trail to trail on the road because I hate having to pin it in 5th gear to keep up with my 250f friends but other than that, I see no reason to go to a 4t.