Sign in to follow this  

kayaba sss fork at my husky TE300

Hi all.

I just throw away my WP 4cs fork from my Husky TE300 -14 and swapped my Kayaba sss fork at it and It was like day and night, even when I haven't tune it in.

The fork comes originally from a YZ450f -06 and all I have done is change the springs to 0.48kg/mm (I'm 215lbs without gear and expert rider)and removed 5 faceshim.

And now I wounder if the suspension-experts here at TT have any setup's for this fork that work's really good in the woods among the roots and rocks. The setting is stock

except for the springs and 5 faceshim removed. I want the fork to be plush and firm.TE300 with Kayaba.jpg I have made the trippleclamp, both upper

and lower by myself . I don't expect it should work perfekt at first time, just something to start with so work on with it.

Edited by mattias
  • Like 1

Don't the sss go on the std 4cs clamps ?

Hi all.

I just throw away my WP 4cs fork from my Husky TE300 -14 and swapped my Kayaba sss fork at it and It was like day and night, even when I haven't tune it in.

The fork comes originally from a YZ450f -06 and all I have done is change the springs to 0.48kg/mm (I'm 215lbs without gear and expert rider)and removed 5 faceshim.

And now I wounder if the suspension-experts here at TT have any setup's for this fork that work's really good in the woods among the roots and rocks. The setting is stock

except for the springs and 5 faceshim removed. I want the fork to be plush and firm.attachicon.gifTE300 with Kayaba.jpg I have made the trippleclamp, both upper

and lower by myself . I don't expect it should work perfekt at first time, just something to start with so work on with it.

1. Love to hear about guys throwing away the latest and greatest WP stuff for 8 year old KYB and loving it! I'm a Yamaha holdout in a sea of orange here.

2. You're probably pretty close, depending on what you want out of the bike. Maybe add a crossover about 2/3s down the face shims to soften up the little stuff? You can also play with outer chamber oil volume, most run low 300s for woods up to about 350ml for moto/fast offroad/etc

Edited by C-P
  • Like 1

I replaced a set of new PFP Marzocchis with the KYBs on my Beta 300RR Race.  CP, your valving is almost the same as mine.  I'm running a 24mm x over but thats about it.  I run 330c oil with drilled pistons.  Excellent in rocky stuff, stays up in the travel nice.  Sand race in a couple weeks so that may want more stiffness but we will see.  Bike has to cover quite a range of terrain and speed so any setup has its compromises.

• Like 1

I installed KYB SSS carts on my 2013 KTM 250sx and got amazing results after about 4 revalves.

I'm 165-170 lbs, and I ride a lot of badlands. Lots of aggressive hill climbs, larger bumps from sagebrush and yucca plants, sandstone rocks all about. I do some natural jumps, step ups, and drop offs. I have yet to try my setup in the mountains, and probably will not be able to until next summer.

Fork springs: .42

Clickers are about 10-8 out from full in. I can check next time im around my bike if needed.

330cc of Maxima 5wt fork fluid

Pistons are NOT drilled. Talked to suspension tuners and that takes away a function of the fork that makes these so unique according to them.

Base Valve:

Piston
32x.11  (x6)

20x.10

30x.10

28x.11

26x.11

24x.10
24x.11

22x.11

20x.10

20x.11

18x.11

16x.25

14x.30

Bleed stack reversed

Mid Valve:

Nut            Rebound

Washer

10x.25

12x.11

14x.11

16x.11

18x.11

13x.11

20x.11  (x2)

Piston

20x.11  (x2)  Comp
18x.11          Float=.45mm

16x.11

14x.11

12x.15

11x.30  (x2)

17x.30  (x2)

Edited by Dadee
  • Like 2

I haven't drilled my Pistons either - I figure I'm in there enough now, I'll see pretty quick if they're busted.

Like i said I've revalved a few times. I tried a few different valving setups with some 32's after my crossover and the forks would soak up the very small bumps but would still deflect on the larger ones. I removed the 32's after the cross over and added a couple face shims. I think this allowed the face shims to bend a little farther before hitting the 30 making the forks MUCH more compliant over trail trash.

My bike is magic carpet plush now and i love it. I would recommend revalving the shock also. Its amazing how much the shock affects the forks.

• Like 1

I did the same mod on my 14 sxf 250 and weigh a tad less at 150lb , 0.435 springs drilled pistons ,320cc but stiffer valving for mx , my base is much stiffer amd my mid a little bit stiffer , works great

If it wasn't for the Showa patent, that piston would be drilled/vented from the factory.

If it wasn't for the Showa patent, that piston would be drilled/vented from the factory.

yup...and the replacement kyb aluminum ones are fully vented too.

Like i said I've revalved a few times. I tried a few different valving setups with some 32's after my crossover and the forks would soak up the very small bumps but would still deflect on the larger ones. I removed the 32's after the cross over and added a couple face shims. I think this allowed the face shims to bend a little farther before hitting the 30 making the forks MUCH more compliant over trail trash.

My bike is magic carpet plush now and i love it. I would recommend revalving the shock also. Its amazing how much the shock affects the forks.

man those are some of the softest stacks I,ve seen.

Nice stuff Girard. Those are the Smart Performance pistons I beleive.  I think they also preload the ICS a couple mm to take up the freeplay.  I did the same with shims from Mcmaster.  Also removed the top oring.  I had a set of Husky KYBs apart and the pistons in them had no bushings, just raised shoulders in the plastic. Plastic spring perches too.  Cheapo version I guess.

Nice stuff Girard. Those are the Smart Performance pistons I beleive.  I think they also preload the ICS a couple mm to take up the freeplay.  I did the same with shims from Mcmaster.  Also removed the top oring.  I had a set of Husky KYBs apart and the pistons in them had no bushings, just raised shoulders in the plastic. Plastic spring perches too.  Cheapo version I guess.

they are not a smart performance product...though he does sell them.

Yeah, like CJ said, that's a crazy soft BV --- you really only have 6 face shims?

I installed KYB SSS carts on my 2013 KTM 250sx and got amazing results after about 4 revalves.

I'm 165-170 lbs, and I ride a lot of badlands. Lots of aggressive hill climbs, larger bumps from sagebrush and yucca plants, sandstone rocks all about. I do some natural jumps, step ups, and drop offs. I have yet to try my setup in the mountains, and probably will not be able to until next summer.

Fork springs: .42

Clickers are about 10-8 out from full in. I can check next time im around my bike if needed.

330cc of Maxima 5wt fork fluid

Pistons are NOT drilled. Talked to suspension tuners and that takes away a function of the fork that makes these so unique according to them.

Base Valve:

Piston

32x.11  (x6)

20x.10

30x.10

28x.11

26x.11

24x.10

24x.11

22x.11

20x.10

20x.11

18x.11

16x.25

14x.30

Bleed stack reversed

Mid Valve:

Nut            Rebound

Washer

10x.25

12x.11

14x.11

16x.11

18x.11

13x.11

20x.11  (x2)

Piston

20x.11  (x2)  Comp

18x.11          Float=.45mm

16x.11

14x.11

12x.15

11x.30  (x2)

17x.30  (x2)

I'd like to see what this looks like in Restackor.  I'd like to compare it with the iterations you mention in your next post. 

Does anyone have the piston dimensions and such ?

The last valving I had before the current setup was...

Base Valve:

Piston
32x.11  (x4)

20x.10

32x.11  (x4)

30x.10

28x.11

26x.11
24x.11

22x.11

20x.11

18x.11

16x.25

Mid valve and rebound were the same.

This stack worked well. much better than my WP setup, but like i said earlier it wouldnt soak up the baseball sized rocks and other trail trash. Just the really small stuff. I believe having the cross over before a smaller shim allows the face shims to deflect more giving me that magical plush feeling. I added a couple .10 shims in my current stack to help giove it some more progression and resist bottoming.

I'm going to stick by my guns on the ICS piston. I believe there is a reason KYB did it this way. If it was open it would give a larger air volume to the outer chamber and do the same for the inner chamber where the ICS spring is. With it sealed off it has a smaller air volume giving it more progression? not 100% sure why its beneficial yet but feel that if KYB wanted it open they would've been using the SDI ones to begin with. The reason they dont use solid metal ones is because of the hydraulic lock. The plastic ones are designed to break under enough hydraulic pressure if a seal leaks. If they were metal something else would give.... something much more expensive.

I would REALLY like someone to compare this stack and my current stack in restacker. I've considered buying restacker myself.