Sign in to follow this  

Rear spring and jack up kit question

Hi,

I want to raise the rear of my sm. I have already tried to turn a spring nut to make it stiffer and higher. The rear just feels way too low. It becomes even more noticeable on acceleration. I found the info that heavier spring should fix it. According to Race Tech I should go for 5.7 spring but some people say their calculator was wrong. Not sure if it's ok now.  Just went to 150/60 PP on the rear and don't want to change tyre. I am 2 ft and 165 lbs if it helps)

Another question is about jack up kits. I couldn't find much feedback on it. It should raise the rear up about 20 mm. Have anyone tried them? My concern is that it can change the geometry of the suspension and I am not sure if it's good or bad. Will it change the handling?

At the moment it has a stock tank but I am going to change it to IMS 2.6. It's a pure street bike for me.

Edited by Aive1

The DRZ is sprung softly for most, so yes, heavier spring = good in general ...

How much do you weigh in gear?

Stock fork springs? Where are the forks in the triple clamp - stock position with the fork caps a few mm above the clamp?

And - By all means measure your sag. You'd want to measure both free and "race" sag. It's easy to do and gives an excellent insight into how the suspension works and will tell if you need a heavier spring and how much heavier.

A higher rear will give quicker steering, all else being equal. How do you feel steering is now? Stable and occasionally sluggish or front-pushy, or a little nervous? Or just right?

+1 on getting the correct spring for your weight.

Also it could be possible that a previous owner (assuming it is a used bike) has installed lowering links. Check for those if you haven't.

Hi,

I want to raise the rear of my sm. I have already tried to turn a spring nut to make it stiffer and higher. The rear just feels way too low. It becomes even more noticeable on acceleration. I found the info that heavier spring should fix it. According to Race Tech I should go for 5.7 spring but some people say their calculator was wrong. Not sure if it's ok now. Just went to 150/60 PP on the rear and don't want to change tyre. I am 2 ft and 165 lbs if it helps)

Another question is about jack up kits. I couldn't find much feedback on it. It should raise the rear up about 20 mm. Have anyone tried them? My concern is that it can change the geometry of the suspension and I am not sure if it's good or bad. Will it change the handling?

At the moment it has a stock tank but I am going to change it to IMS 2.6. It's a pure street bike for me.

You want an SM taller in the rear?

install a E or S shock

Or

Use the questionable design adjustable links

Or

Make your self some longer links