Sign in to follow this  

Enduro bike for Florida

Hi thumpertalk,

I would like to apologize in advance for creating another "what bike should I buy?" thread, but through all of my research I have come to several different conclusions, various ones contradicting one another. 

A little bit of background information:

• Currently living in South Florida
  • 5' 11" (~180 cm)
  • ~135 lbs (~60 kgs)
  • 16 years old
  • Looking to do trail riding
  • Complete novice
  • Alright with mechanics
  • Offroad's in cars

Through my research I've deducted that a 4 stroke 250cc bike is probably best for what I want to do, as well as for learning how to ride. I've looked at all the big name brands, such as: KTM, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, Husaberg, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda. I've fallen in love with the 2014 Husqvarna FE250, the only problem being: $$$. That led me to the problem of buying older Husqvarna's, because they weren't with KTM at the time so I was unsure of performance/reputation at that time. I know Yamaha's and Kawasaki's are super reliable and (can be) much cheaper than their European counterparts, but is it worth it to save more for a bike that will last me in the long run (I'm most likely moving to a drastically different environment soon). At the moment I would be doing a lot of sand riding mixed in with a lot of water.

So my final question is, with all the information provided, does my general idea of a 4 stroke 250cc sound good? Also, can anybody recommend something that seems like a "best fit" for me?

Edited by Spingbok

If your beginning to ride, dont get a high peformance maintenance hog

air cooled bikes are perfect for beginners, but if you want something more aggressive get a 125, that'll force you to hone your skills good haha.

EDIT: just saw your trail riding, ignore the 125 you dont want that

Edited by mr.whiskeythrottle

Hi thumpertalk,

I would like to apologize in advance for creating another "what bike should I buy?" thread, but through all of my research I have come to several different conclusions, various ones contradicting one another. 

A little bit of background information:

• Currently living in South Florida
  • 5' 11" (~180 cm)
  • ~135 lbs (~60 kgs)
  • 16 years old
  • Looking to do trail riding
  • Complete novice
  • Alright with mechanics
  • Offroad's in cars

Through my research I've deducted that a 4 stroke 250cc bike is probably best for what I want to do, as well as for learning how to ride. I've looked at all the big name brands, such as: KTM, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, Husaberg, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda. I've fallen in love with the 2014 Husqvarna FE250, the only problem being: $$$. That led me to the problem of buying older Husqvarna's, because they weren't with KTM at the time so I was unsure of performance/reputation at that time. I know Yamaha's and Kawasaki's are super reliable and (can be) much cheaper than their European counterparts, but is it worth it to save more for a bike that will last me in the long run (I'm most likely moving to a drastically different environment soon). At the moment I would be doing a lot of sand riding mixed in with a lot of water.

So my final question is, with all the information provided, does my general idea of a 4 stroke 250cc sound good? Also, can anybody recommend something that seems like a "best fit" for me?

You weight the same as me but are a fair bit taller.

I have to say you'd do well on a 200 smoker. 125s are doable if you aren't riding overly gnarly stuff, and are plenty fast enough to learn to ride on

Don't be scared of the Euro brands, they are the future IMO.