Sign in to follow this  

Backpacks in desert?

I'm relatively new to Nevada and have noticed, both while riding and race videos , that some people ride/ race wearing backpacks.

I'm curious what people are carrying beyond my admittedly austere kit( fluids for me, spark plug/wrench , a Swiss army type multitool, and phone(containing maps I can use offline)

I will also at times carry a spare bottle of water on the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

Everything you said plus tire spoons, inner tubes, a small hand pump, GPS and cell phone or SPOT.  Depends on distance covered.

Everything you said plus tire spoons, inner tubes, a small hand pump, GPS and cell phone or SPOT. Depends on distance covered.

Tire tool and supplies are something that has occurred to me as well. I wonder if fix-a-flat would work well enough to get me home? I have GPS on my Iphone,which I carry. I have thought about getting a true GPS, but where I ride doesn't really justify the expense. Both my main riding areas are relatively "contained"(I'm not 50 miles from civilization), and one of them has continuous cell service. I'm riding at the other today, and will experiment how well my Iphone GPS works out here.Of course, I have no idea how it would work in a race.

I appreciate the input as I develop my own "kit" Since I hate riding in a backpack, and wear shoulderpads/chestprotector, I'm going to try different methods.

What does the Group think of this...

Basic Kit-my home made fanny pack hydration system with 32oz. fluids,Iphone with Garmin,multitool, and lighter. I've thought about adding a signal mirror.

spark plug and wrench secured in airbox

Add-handlebar bag with 16 oz fluids (does anyone carry fuel?) and couple of powerbars(or does anyone have better food suggestions?)

-rear fender bag with tire tube (and btw, with 21 and 18 inch wheels,what size tube?) ,enough tools to get the wheels off/change tube, and some way to inflate them(the Moose tire kit looks pretty trick). Or, Fix A Flat? Also, a flashlight.

My Basic Kit has worked well for me in 6months of riding out here in Nevada. So, what I'm looking for is a "survival kit" for a race situation or if I ever do an extended distance ride.

Oldfuddy - great job.  A bit more than I would carry, but you covered it well.  Where do you ride?

Edited by Thumpdaddy650

I have a different approach. I usually ride a loop that seldom gets more than 10 or 20 miles from my truck. When I have gotten a flat, I just ride it out slowly. The rim locks worked fine and the tires had no damage to the sidewalks. Works surprisingly well. Just have to go very slow. Worth it to me. Changing a stiff rear desert knobby on the trail without a tire/wheel stand doesn't sound fun. Much easier to change a thin walled trials tire on the trail.

I don't have to carry heavy tire tools and a tube. I've tried goop in the tubes but it doesn't fix tears and it makes mess.

• Like 1

It obviously depends on your riding style and riding distance. If you are riding a heavy dual sport or adventure bike or riding long distances, carry the tube, tire tools and air. If you are riding a lightweight trail bike riding single track, consider riding it out and make sure your rim locks are installed correctly and are tight.

Most of my desert rides are more than 30 miles from help or more, but some are within 20 miles as the crow flies, but it could take 2hrs to all day to get there by vehicle due to terrain.

Surely not for everyone, but the below vid shows what works for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuBdWv4OAc4

Oldfuddy, thanks for the video, and that is one excellent tool kit.

My rides are like Sofiedogs( where do you ride, S?)and I share his views on trail side knobby changes. :0.

I don't see myself in a trail riding situation I couldn't ride out on a flat, and in a race I assume by the time I get it changed the race would be over and sweepers would have gotten me( hopefully) .

The one mechanical I ever had with the bike was a water pump gasket failure that blew out the coolant ( had to walk out 5 miles on that one) . I prevent reoccurrance by changing that gasket periodically. Plus, I put a coolant recovery tank on it to help prevent overheating from boil over. I couldn't fix that on the trail without coolant anyway ( and I'd be hesitant to use my fluids for that. )

What I really liked about your kit was what you had in the backpack. I'm definitely going to incorporate some of that into the bike's bags.

Btw, where did you find decent printable maps? I can't find anything useful on line for my area. I did find a useful Iphone app called Avenza that lets you download and store maps on the phone

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

Oldfuddy, thanks for the video, and that is one excellent tool kit.

My rides are like Sofiedogs( where do you ride, S?)

I ride in mostly remote desert areas in southern Arizona along the border from Nogales to Douglas and up into the several northern mountain ranges in that area.

As for the tools, a buddy and I used to do tours for folks that would fly in and want to ride the desert. Had to be prepared for about everything and now I don't leave for a ride without what you saw. Most of our rides are 100+ miles or more.

As for flats, no biggie, we change them on the trail. Mostly for other folks though as I tend to ride with a little higher pressure and use ultra HD tubes. If close to end of ride we ride out. But if early or midway through we don't stop the ride for a flat. Fix it and continue.

Best maps are forest service maps. Try to find one for your area. I also use Topo North America and make and print my own from that program.

When I race the bike there's no tools or bags and I use a different backpack and don't change flats if I get them. Just ride out on the rim locks.

Edited by oldfuddy