Sign in to follow this  

Plastic Spin Welding on an RV Fresh Water Tank

Ok, this is only slightly related to DB's,  I have a Toy Hauler on which I broke off a 1 1/2 "  fitting on the bottom of the fresh water tank. It is a spin weld fitting, and I have purchased a new fitting.  If anyone has knowledge of plastic spin welding, I have some questions.  The tank where the fitting was knocked off has a ledge of material which can be used to press the new fitting against to spin weld, but it is about half the thickness of the tank wall since the broken fitting took off half the material when it broke.  The hole diameter and circumference still match up to the new fitting, but is there enough material to allow for a strong weld?  Will the new fitting just punch through the tank because it isn't thick enough at the point of weld? 

My other choice is to just plastic weld the new fitting using a traditional welding technique   Which would be recommended, or what other suggestions might someone have?  Replacing the tank is going to be expensive, so I'd rather try to repair it first.

Thanks

Edited by Bigbird

RV.net. People there have tons of info and experience. 

Good luck.

Ok, this is only slightly related to DB's,  I have a Toy Hauler on which I broke off a 1 1/2 "  fitting on the bottom of the fresh water tank. It is a spin weld fitting, and I have purchased a new fitting.  If anyone has knowledge of plastic spin welding, I have some questions.  The tank where the fitting was knocked off has a ledge of material which can be used to press the new fitting against to spin weld, but it is about half the thickness of the tank wall since the broken fitting took off half the material when it broke.  The hole diameter and circumference still match up to the new fitting, but is there enough material to allow for a strong weld?  Will the new fitting just punch through the tank because it isn't thick enough at the point of weld? 

My other choice is to just plastic weld the new fitting using a traditional welding technique   Which would be recommended, or what other suggestions might someone have?  Replacing the tank is going to be expensive, so I'd rather try to repair it first.

Thanks

What was the outcome? I have 3 leaking fittings on my TH and dont know if I should order a kit and glue them on myself or take the tanks to a plastic welder.

What was the outcome? I have 3 leaking fittings on my TH and dont know if I should order a kit and glue them on myself or take the tanks to a plastic welder.

Sorry, I should have posted what I did.  First, I ordered two 1 1/2" spin weld fittings one for installation and a second for backup if the first attempt didn't go so well.  I considered using a router and doing the work myself as the videos of spin welding techniques made it look pretty straightforward, but, in looking at the damaged area, there just wasn't enough material to be comfortable with that approach.  So, I called a mobile RV mechanic with professional plastic welding equipment to weld in the spin weld fitting.  A plus is he guaranteed his work and came well recommended.  It took the guy about twenty minutes to weld the fitting in and cost me $75.  The fitting cost $2.85.  I have used it four times since the repair, my tank holds 100 gallons, and it has not leaked or shown any sign of potential failure.  I am quite happy with the solution..  If it should fail, I will probably have the area patched/welded closed and create a new opening in another place on the tank and spin weld in the second fitting.  That is how it was done originally, so I have a high degree of confidence that that will work if what I have already done fails at some time.

The key is to get someone who has experience and proper equipment to do the work.

• Like 1