Sign in to follow this  

UNKNOWN BIKE PROBLEM! INPUT APPRECIATED!

Hello! So recently I rebuilt my bike from the frame up (I had to get the frame welded) and my bike would very randomly stall out on me, almost as if someone was pushing the kill switch multiple times, and then it would start right back up. Well today I went out for a ride (after it stalled a time or two) and as I started getting on the throttle, I heard the bog and my bike shut down, and now it won't start. I know what I am doing with a dirt bike and I have checked every single wire with the manual and they all match up, I replaced the plug, carburetor is clean as a whistle (and it runs perfect when it actually starts) the motor has a fresh rebuild on it and there is a ton of compression and every thing seems to be normal EXCEPT when I went to take off the ignition cover... There were about 5 drops of water that poured out and there was a nasty mix of dirt/gunk inside the cover that has seem to corrode the flywheel... I cleaned all of it out and put my ignition cover back on (which has a pretty much non existant gasket and explains the water/dirt). So my ideas are pointing to the option of having a fried stator. Does this sound right? The bike is a 2009 KTM SX 150 and I would love to know what you guys think the problem is. I'm about 100% sure that it is something electrical so please don't tell me "Have you tried cleaning the air filter? Is the main jet clogged? I think it may need a rebuild" THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Of course its the stator, thats why there is gasket there.

So before I go dump $120, is there anything else you would recommend that I could try? I've already cleaned every single connection point between wires

I have checked every single wire with the manual and they all match up

So you verified the bike didn't rewire itself? :lol:

You can check the resistance of a coil, such as a stator, but it's a fairly useless test. If it fails the check, it might be bad. If it passes, it doesn't mean it's good. Dead short or open usually means it's bad, few ohms off or pass means nothing.

Verify the carb is getting fuel, that there's not a petcock problem.

Make sure the carb vent lines are not kinked, plugged up with bugs, mud or the like.

Be sure the tanks fuel cap is venting properly. Next time it dies on you, immediately remove the cap and listen for a rush of air as the pressure equalizes.

• Like 1

Well, you could try disengaging the kill switch for a ride.  Maybe a short there.  It could also be the ECU harness is not locked in, which has happened to me (went through everything else first, then figured that out.  good times  :facepalm: )  All connections have to be clean, which you know, but before you replace the stator double check the kill switch and your ground connection.  Might as well rule out the obvious before the apparent.  Another idea would be to just drain the float bowl.  Maybe you don't have water or a piece of debris in there, but I would do that before buying a new stator.  Let us know how it works out.

Hello! So recently I rebuilt my bike from the frame up (I had to get the frame welded) and my bike would very randomly stall out on me, almost as if someone was pushing the kill switch multiple times, and then it would start right back up. Well today I went out for a ride (after it stalled a time or two) and as I started getting on the throttle, I heard the bog and my bike shut down, and now it won't start. I know what I am doing with a dirt bike and I have checked every single wire with the manual and they all match up, I replaced the plug, carburetor is clean as a whistle (and it runs perfect when it actually starts) the motor has a fresh rebuild on it and there is a ton of compression and every thing seems to be normal EXCEPT when I went to take off the ignition cover... There were about 5 drops of water that poured out and there was a nasty mix of dirt/gunk inside the cover that has seem to corrode the flywheel... I cleaned all of it out and put my ignition cover back on (which has a pretty much non existant gasket and explains the water/dirt). So my ideas are pointing to the option of having a fried stator. Does this sound right? The bike is a 2009 KTM SX 150 and I would love to know what you guys think the problem is. I'm about 100% sure that it is something electrical so please don't tell me "Have you tried cleaning the air filter? Is the main jet clogged? I think it may need a rebuild" THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Ironic, just has same identical issues on sons 250sxf,pulled ignition cover, some water and shit, cleaned out with WD40 compressed air, all better. Resealed cover case with silicon had him blast through puddles no problems now.

• Like 1

Well, you could try disengaging the kill switch for a ride. Maybe a short there. It could also be the ECU harness is not locked in, which has happened to me (went through everything else first, then figured that out. good times :facepalm: ) All connections have to be clean, which you know, but before you replace the stator double check the kill switch and your ground connection. Might as well rule out the obvious before the apparent. Another idea would be to just drain the float bowl. Maybe you don't have water or a piece of debris in there, but I would do that before buying a new stator. Let us know how it works out.

Yesterday while out on the track I took I drained the car for about 30 seconds and gas poured right out with no problem. My Gas Tank is venting perfectly too. I will definitely do a test with a multimeter on it today after I clean the hell out of it and see if I get lucky with that. I have also pull the plug where the kill switch connects and the bike still wouldn't run so I can rule that out. Maybe it's one of the wiring harnesses but I disconnected every single one, cleaned them, and then triple checked to see if they were connected properly with still no luck.

Verify the carb is getting fuel, that there's not a petcock problem.

Make sure the carb vent lines are not kinked, plugged up with bugs, mud or the like.

Be sure the tanks fuel cap is venting properly. Next time it dies on you, immediately remove the cap and listen for a rush of air as the pressure equalizes.

I've drained the bowl, the gas tank vents properly, and I couldn't even do your test of seeing if there's a rush of air as the pressure equalizes because the bike doesn't start.

Did you verify spark?   Pull the plug wire and plug, and using a NEW spark plug re-attach the plug wire to the NEW plug.  Now ground the NEW plug to the head and kick it over..  Spark??  No spark?? 

Did you verify spark? Pull the plug wire and plug, and using a NEW spark plug re-attach the plug wire to the NEW plug. Now ground the NEW plug to the head and kick it over.. Spark?? No spark??

Today I did literally every single ohm test and checked every possible thing. I also put a new plug in the plug wire, grounded it to the head, and no spark. Before I go spend $150 on a stator (Mind I'm only 14 and its coming out of my pocket) is there ANYTHING I CAN DO TO BE SURE IT IS THE STATOR?

To do a proper test you need to know what ohm values to look for..  I have no idea on a 150.  Maybe your dealer will tell you or you can purchase a shop manual from him on CD..

Meantime this is the only thing I found, link below, and I would go over to KTMtalk.com and ask around.

http://www.deklanbrown.com/the-ktm-guide.pdf

Edited by zilla

Had the same issue on my 300. If you didn't replace the gasket for the stator cover, clean both surfaces well and install a new gasket before you go and dump $150 on a stator.