Jumping Crossed Up, advice please

Could someone please explain basic technique for bringing you bike straight in the air when you've taken off cross rutted or the back has kicked sideways for some other reason?

Landing sideways isn't that fun :(

Someone else just posted a very similar question last week, here's what I told him: 

Stand far forward and pinch the rad shrouds with your legs.  Then the bike will pivot around you when it kicks out and not bring your body with it, allowing you to correct its trajectory.

Thank you,

In order to actually correct the alignment of the bike do you just push with your leg/legs or tilt bike like a whip or both or turn the bars more too??

Thank you,

In order to actually correct the alignment of the bike do you just push with your leg/legs or tilt bike like a whip or both or turn the bars more too??

Yes, push with legs and if needed, pull your foot off the peg and push against the sub-frame for more leverage.  Manipulate the bars to allow you to maintain balance when you land or to help lever the bike around. 

You must remain relaxed whilst doing these recovery operations or the bike WILL fight you and it will want to dead sailor, as in continue its sideways antics till you crash.

Watch Mookie at the RBSR vs. James. 

Sorry...but there is not much you can really do when you flat swap a jump except land pinned to stop rebound.   Mookie swapped that jump vs. JS7...and he could not correct it.  He had to land flat.

The best technique is prevention. 

Thanks for the reply, prevention should include?

Also what search term should I use to find the video please?

Could someone please explain basic technique for bringing you bike straight in the air when you've taken off cross rutted or the back has kicked sideways for some other reason?

Landing sideways isn't that fun :(

Find your center of balance with body movement. Get on the throttle. The centrifugal force of all the spinning parts will help straighten things out. Stay on the throttle as you land, again, this will straighten things out. Following is more info that I've posted before about getting sideways. 

Getting sideways off jumps when you don’t intend to is 9 times out of 10 because you’re hitting an uneven face upon take off.  Think of a quad when it jumps off an uneven face; like where the two left wheels are higher than the two right wheels, your going to get sideways big time.  It’s the same kind of an affect with a M/C.  If there is a rut, a dished out area, a little rock or anything uneven about the place where the tires actually leave the ground it’s going to make you go sideways. 

The best way to solve this problem and keep your short clean is to make sure you take off in the center of the rut or dished out area, make sure you’re taking off on even ground.  If there is no even ground you have to compensate for the sideways pitch. 

The other possibility is that one foot peg is being weighted more then the other. 

This is explained in visual detail on my Volume 3 Series DVD # 6 "Motocross Basic Jumping Techniques". You can see a free preview and/or order it online at; http://wp.gsmxs.com/dvd-6-motocross-basic-jumping-techniques/ 

watch a vid of a pro throwing a whip, when they are in the air sideways notice how they hook the seat with with thier free foot. Pull the bike back with that leg, after you get it somewhat straight make sure you are really pinching the frame with your knees when you land, and as everone here has already said pin it/panic rev the bike untill you have everything under control

MT50, By now you're probably getting control of straightening the bike back out for a nice refreshing landing. Here's a link to one of my free Thumper Talk video jumping blogs. http://www.thumpertalk.com/blog/4/entry-38-video-tip-motocross-jumping-techniques/

Once there you can join my blogs in the upper right corner just by clicking "follow this blog". 

Ride hard, ride smart, 
Gary Semics

Thank you very much Mr Semics!

Yes I'm certainly having more fun and less scariness when jumping, approach and in air techniques are slowly becoming more feeling and less thought.

Unfortunately I found a new way to get into trouble this Sunday and broke my Tibia :(

I washed the front end on a hip and took off flat.

I'm pretty sure I never had a chance of saving it once I was airborne but what should I do in the future to reduce the chance of washing the front out on a ramp?