not consistent

hi i have a 2014 kx450 and the fork aint consistent ,one day it feels great next time same track same rider same temperature it feels really bad ,what is wrong, i use the same gauge for pressure all the time ,check it before each time i gonna ride the bike fresh oil and so on

hi i have a 2014 kx450 and the fork aint consistent ,one day it feels great next time same track same rider same temperature it feels really bad ,what is wrong, i use the same gauge for pressure all the time ,check it before each time i gonna ride the bike fresh oil and so on

I feel the same way, but have cracked the code, a little, maybe. It's going to have a different feel too, based on track conditions of course. I think what it has more to do with is the fork oil temp at the time of checking pressure. If it's colder in AM and stored in your cold garage, but gets to the same temp outside when you dialed everything is, it'll change what the final PSI is because it's colder inside the fork. I usually start with .5-1 less PSI when it's colder, because as the fork warms up it'll get warmer of course and you'll end at the same PSI. I would agree tho, they sometimes feel different day to day, but I really think it has to do with air pressure and temperatures.

Edited by duhameister

this is exactly why I ditched the PSF forks for the MX tech SFF kit. I really tried to like them and even had them revalved but ultimately it was the inconsistency that drove me over the edge...

skthom - Did you do a report on the SFF conversion?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Does your conversion have the huck valve set-up as well?

yes temp is a factor ,i noticed it more before i changed to skf seals that when the fork was cold it acted a little strange, but cant it be that its really a bad fork construction wise ? i mean they only used it for 2 years so there must be something more than temperature ,i really love the feel of it when its good but the inconsistency make me wanna change

yes temp is a factor ,i noticed it more before i changed to skf seals that when the fork was cold it acted a little strange, but cant it be that its really a bad fork construction wise ? i mean they only used it for 2 years so there must be something more than temperature ,i really love the feel of it when its good but the inconsistency make me wanna change

I know we've talked before about these forks before and I did try a set of MXT SFF forks and although they have a better mid-stroke action the PSF forks bottoming is untouchable. I think the biggest thing for me was the un-sprung weight of the big spring in one side. Once you run with Air forks for awhile, springs feel weird.

I do think air forks react much different to terrain changes than tradition spring forks.

Edited by duhameister

skthom - Did you do a report on the SFF conversion?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Does your conversion have the huck valve set-up as well?

No I didn't do a report. But did make some comments on some other threads - >

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1094677-mx-tech-sffpsf-conversion-fork-review/?hl=+mx#8208tech=

I was (and am) really happy with the result for mx only riding. And yes there is a huck valve on the air side

Edited by skthom2320

Thanks.  I am on the fence of going with the conversion or sticking with the psf.   I have the huck valve set-up in a KTM 250 2T and really like it but also like the way the psf works on the KX.  

there is a guy here in sweden who buy some stuff from mx-tech and make somekind  off conversion with the psf forks, and he also put in some kind off blowoff valve for those sharp hits to the conversion .maybe i check that one out i just want the fork to work for me in the woods  ,the other option is ohlins but thats so damn expensive

I got the new mxtech conversion.. With Huck valve, no air what so ever. I ride woods. It's the best suspension I've ever had.. I also ride 2014 KX 450.

great maybe i try that out ,was it hard to make the valving work for you ??

great maybe i try that out ,was it hard to make the valving work for you ??

I sent my stuff to Mxtech directly and had them do the work. I spoke with Jeremy on the phone and told him what I kind of ridding etc and he set it up. I didn't even have to play with the clickers. He had everything dialed! I checked the sag, but it was dead on where they set it... Bike handles like its on rails and it floats over logs and rocks like nothing...

for the price of the mx tech kit you could just buy forks off a 09-12 used and send them to a shop to have them set up. i figure it would be a cheaper, i heard the mx tech kit is 1500??? dont know never inquired because i said no air forks for me in the first place. I wont ride with air forks because i am lazy and like to set my stuff up then make a few slight adjustments from track to track with clickers and fork height. adding in air presure to check is one more step than i am willing to take. for me i would just switch out the forks. the mx tech kit is very appealing though! i love kx450's but the yamaha 450 appeals to me now cause of the suspension being what it is and rated to be good. if kawi ever made a decision to go to sss or something id be all about it!

Well turns out that i managed to get me an ohlins cartridge kit with springs for less than a 900$ that is really nice .and its brand new

Sorry i calculated it wrong 666.03 $