KTM EXC 400 shifts violent

Hi

I have a 2009 KTM EXC 400, bike is new for me. Good condition, but it. Shifts gears in quite violent way.Lever works perfect even when engine is off.

It's possible to find the neutral etc.

When oil is cold it shifts more gently when hot it becomes more like without the clutch. Clutch seems to be working fine .

The clutch has400 hours so maybe it's time for new set of plates?

Is it necessary to change a set after 400 hours or friction plates only should be fine?

You won't know until you check the plates out. You need check both metal and fiber plates for flatness on a flat surface like a piece of plate glass or a large mirror. Also, you need to mike the fiber plates to make sure that they are thicker than the factory minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have my plates out but I can't find wear limits anywhere. I'be compared with new one and they have the same thickness.

My steel plates looks a bit strange, have mirror shine places and brown places - is this a wear sign ? I have a new set but I would prefer to return it if my set is ok.

1413480179429.jpg

1413480189617.jpg

Edited by kubamtx

Hi. Should be not an issue I in my case, I have new chain, well adjusted. I decided to change the clutch and inspected shift mechanism which is accessible from clutch side. I've also done oil pump upgrade in this occasion.

I have one more idea. My shift lever tip is worn and maybe I'm not fully engaging gears

Edited by kubamtx