Sign in to follow this  

hard to start then dies

my crf250l 2014 has a thousand miles on it change the oil checked air filter and added fuel . it was difficult to start then it kept dying when i tried to ride it the temp is about 80 degrees .  no sensors came on  during this time .any ideas ?????? 

How long have you had the bike for? Do you regularly ride the bike or most stored?

I hope it is just the battery or weak battery. Try give it a good charge before reinstalling it. Check the connectors to be sure the wires are well secured.

Do you have any other electricals installed?

added fuel???????

maybe you got some bad gas , bottom of the barrel and theres some water in it

remove the fuel hose and let the pump run it into a clear bottle ,, inspect

I was thinking the same thing .... might also make sure it has enough oil in it too ...  :thumbsup: I think I remember reading about someone whose dealer installed the oil filter backwards and the bike kept dying as well. Could cause some serious damage

i ride it every weekend and sets in my climate controlled shop i will charge the battery and dump the fuel i didnt change the  oil filter i cant find any info on a fuel filter . Thanks for the input guys  

Exactly how much oil did you put in. You should only see oil in sight glass when the bike is stood up strait. While in kick stand the sight glass should be empty. Check this, you may have overfilled the crank case and this will cause your symptoms.

Dealer says it may be the fuel filter which is inside the tank but not sure if it has one at all .......can't find a dealer who knows anything or has filter or parts for this bike . Oh BTW I put a diesel conversion kit on it that was on my KTM duh so it should run diesel too

I was told that hard starting, cold blooded, is an indicator of the valves tightening up from wear. When I spoke to the local shop about my break in maintenance, they asked if it was starting hard, or dying. They said don't bother with the valve adjustment till those symptoms show up.... YMMV.

I was looking at that yesterday, the manual mentions 'clogged fuel filter' but I can't find it anywhere??? :excuseme:

Most of the new Fords are all part of the pump now days .... not serviced separately.... :rant:  

My 2007 Focus also does not have a separate air filter element either ... you have to buy the whole air cleaner box assembly that has a retail price of $392.70. But, it is suppose to last 100,000 miles and has a flow meter on it. Needless to say ... my car has never seen a gravel road ....   :lol:

The mystery has been solved ! Water in the gas can I use weekly , how I don't know but there was . It's funny my KTM 450 and my sons KTM fuel injected 350 wasn't phased by this watery fuel but the little honda couldn't handle it

• Like 2

Has anyone drilled holes in the air box without the programmer installed ? When I was trying to diagnose my problem I took the air box cover off and rode around a few minutes the throttle response and torque was noticeable . I haven't wanted to do any mods , don't know if there worth it .

Has anyone drilled holes in the air box without the programmer installed ? When I was trying to diagnose my problem I took the air box cover off and rode around a few minutes the throttle response and torque was noticeable . I haven't wanted to do any mods , don't know if there worth it .

From my understanding you do not want to increase the amount of air without adding more fuel ... the bike runs too lean as it is ...  :prof:

With that being said ... I think just the EJK and airbox mod combined with a 13T front sprocket will do wonders for a minimal investment....  :thumbsup:

I have read the same thing concerning the air box mod , but other than it running lean I was surprised with the added power with the cover off . I also have read that the bike will adjust to the air as it where at a different altitude . Also I am still running a stock air filter anyone running a K&N

I have read the same thing concerning the air box mod , but other than it running lean I was surprised with the added power with the cover off . I also have read that the bike will adjust to the air as it where at a different altitude . Also I am still running a stock air filter anyone running a K&N

I did not think K&N offered anything for our bike .... DNA does ... I just run the stock filter with the backfire screen removed.