Sign in to follow this  

Running from police

I was out riding some ditches today and was thinking what i would do if a police came. Half the time they don't care and will just drive on by but sometimes they will stop. So i was thinking to myself what i would do. Just stop and get told to go home, and hopefully not get a ticket. Or just drive of and try to loose him in a field or down a dirt road,  but then if you do get caught your in serious trouble.  So my question is... when you are breaking the rules (i know everyone has at some point) and you see a police do you haul ass and try and loose them, or stop and let them talk to you. I know breaking the law is bad so pls don't start going on about it.  Its just a random harmless question.

Thanks

Risk vs reward.

I don't know where you live but I don't think ditch riding is illegal here.

In that moment I would stop.

When you run all you do is give us a bad name, and if I can explain myself and the pure innocence of what I am doing. I will try to do so.

If I am outright breaking the law, riding wheelies down the streets of Chicago, or private property in the woods. Then I may have a different perspective

• Like 4

:facepalm:

I would definitely stop. I really doubt you'd get a ticket if you are apologetic, and just be honest on what you're doing, " I'm just putting around in the ditch because I do not have anywhere to ride", or whatever... If you to get a ticket that's a lot better than going to jail or whatever the consequence would be if you were to get caught. 

• Like 5

The real question is, do you look sexy in an orange jumpsuit? A whole industry has evolved from idiots who don't even try to do what's right. It's called reality TV.

Joey, that's State law. Here in IN you need an ORV stcker or plate to do that. Some counties don't allow the orv sticker and some allow it on county roads.

Edited by knudsen
  • Like 1

The real question is, do you look sexy in an orange jumpsuit? A whole industry has evolved from idiots who don't even try to do what's right. It's called reality TV.

Joey, that's State law. Here in IN you need an ORV stcker or plate to do that. Some counties don't allow the orv sticker and some allow it on county roads.

Then I guess it just depends on how many &%$#@! on dirtbikes decided to run before from him.

Because, you may get away... But you are "we are" all the gate keepers to our sport. And each other. So down the road, he may really F.. Another rider because he remembered that one d bag.

Also if it is illegal, they will take you to jail, impound your bike, and press criminal "felony" eluding charges for running.

I have only ran 2 times in my life. One on a street bike at 3 am, the other on a dirtbike when I accidentally trespassed and didn't realize it until I seen someone afar.

I try to stay within my limits.

If your the type that feels like you need to ask a bunch of random internet strangers whether or not you should run from cops. My advise would be you should run from the cops.

• Like 6

Im not saying that i would have run. i was just curious what other peoples opinions are on the matter.  Like i said, i don't want to start and uproar on the matter, its just a question.

Im not saying that i would have run. i was just curious what other peoples opinions are on the matter. Like i said, i don't want to start and uproar on the matter, its just a question.

It is inevitable.

Conflicting conversations tend to do so. Same as 2tv4t or mayo or mustard.

Between liberals and smart people...

• Like 5

I would love to say, the folks here at TT do not condone illegal behavior!

But this question comes up quite often, Unfortunately.

I personally wouldn't be riding ditchlines as I have a plated bike.

I also wouldn't be riding wheelies down the centerline of the road either.

I also don't condone running from law enforcement of any type.

Maybe it boils down to the moral fabric of a persons upbringing?

Idk!

What's your thoughts?

• Like 4

I would love to say, the folks here at TT do not condone illegal behavior!

But this question comes up quite often, Unfortunately.

I personally wouldn't be riding ditchlines as I have a plated bike.

I also wouldn't be riding wheelies down the centerline of the road either.

I also don't condone running from law enforcement of any type.

Maybe it boils down to the moral fabric of a persons upbringing?

Idk!

What's your thoughts?

I agree and think the same now. However, as a youngster, I quickly calculated the odds and ran when I thought I could get away with it (only a couple of times). Otherwise I stopped. Once I pushed my bike home 2 miles with the cop checking on me every 20-30 minutes to be sure I didn't cheat. LOL

Mike

• Like 2

I just pull over and take my helmet off.  Run and you're in big trouble if or when they catch ya.  Ask a bud of mine who blew his bike up while trying to get away.  Bike got impounded and he was tossed in jail.  The guy he was with who pulled over was told to get it off the street.

If your a kid in the 80's or 90's in a field by your house with an exit strategy. Sure run. If your an adult in this day n age. Stop. Tell the truth and be cool and see where it gets you. The time for doing stupid stuff out n about came n went 20 yrs ago.

I've yet to have a bad experience with a cop when I got caught doing something stupid as long as I was honest and cool That always goes along way with someone who deals, and is sick of people lying to their face everyday. Lots of cops are into bikes or the outdoors and guns. Find common ground and make a friend when you get caught being a dum azz I always say.

• Like 1

If you must ask, always run from cops. Also, forget the helment, wear sandals and be sure to sport that monster/fox flat bill hat. Don't forget to flip off the cops and post it on youtube as soon as you get home.

• Like 3

Riding in ditches is not cool. Taxpayers pay for those ditches, and the maintenance of them. Now, riding along the ditch line to the trail, in a respectful manner, will get you some respect back

I ran once when I was 13 on my YZ125. That was over 30 years ago. Yes, I got away, but then again, not sure they were trying all that hard. These days, the po has no humor for that kind of stuff. Hell, chirp your tires on the pavement and you're getting the riot act and a big ticket. You might get away, once or even twice, but if/when they catch you, gunna be 'spensive and unpleasant. Lesser of evils is taking your medicine and having the discussion.

I was out riding some ditches today and was thinking what i would do if a police came. Half the time they don't care and will just drive on by but sometimes they will stop. So i was thinking to myself what i would do. Just stop and get told to go home, and hopefully not get a ticket. Or just drive of and try to loose him in a field or down a dirt road, but then if you do get caught your in serious trouble. So my question is... when you are breaking the rules (i know everyone has at some point) and you see a police do you haul ass and try and loose them, or stop and let them talk to you. I know breaking the law is bad so pls don't start going on about it. Its just a random harmless question.

Thanks

How about we use a bike for what it was meant for?

Can't outrun the radio. Just stop, get on ur knees and start sucking.

• Like 3

I was riding with my cop friend once in Georgia.  We knew we were outside the permitted area (by 5 miles, or so).  We saw a suspicious vehicle and person in the woods ahead.  We turned around and went the other way.  We'd have been safe if it was cops, but didn't want to mess with any poachers, druggies or moonshiners. 

If you run, not only does it UP the penalties WHEN you get caught but there is an ego thing involved too where the guy you ran from now has extra impetus to catch you...as in "How DARE you run from me, I WILL catch you, you smart a$$."  

• Like 4