Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust leak

I have an exhaust leak from my header into my head.

I know there is a packing that goes in the pipe, where can I buy that? What am I looking for? It is a gnarly pipe.

Some kind of ring to keep the exhaust snug and no leaks. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Motosport doesn't have it

Crush gasket goes between the header and the head. Need to look it up for your model bike.

The pipe has o-rings that seal it to the manifold. Take them out and go to a good hardware store to match them up.

Be sure to get viton o-rings, standard rubber or vinyl o-rings can't handle the heat.

Order a new copper crush washer from your dealer. The crush washer prevents the steel pipe from cutting into the aluminum cylinder. I usually get 3 or 4 at a time just so I have them.

I also run a thin bead of RTV silicone around the pipe before inserting it to help seal it.

I also replace my pipe springs at every top-end rebuild, but I realize few people ever bother to replace them unless they lose them.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 1

The pipe has o-rings that seal it to the manifold. Take them out and go to a good hardware store to match them up.

Be sure to get viton o-rings, standard rubber or vinyl o-rings can't handle the heat.

Order a new copper crush washer from your dealer. The crush washer prevents the steel pipe from cutting into the aluminum cylinder. I usually get 3 or 4 at a time just so I have them.

I also run a thin bead of RTV silicone around the pipe before inserting it to help seal it.

I also replace my pipe springs at every top-end rebuild, but I realize few people ever bother to replace them unless they lose them.

Crush washers, expensive?

As for o rings, viton o rings is what I need to get then. If they don't have those what then? I'll have to google viton..

I don't think this pipe has any of that on it... Where do the orings go?

I assume the crush washer goes on the tip where it meets the head? Then the o rings after that?

I was just going to cut a cool out of each spring and re do that.

What about the piece that goes to where the header pipe meets the muffler pipe? What is that boot thing called?

As for o rings, viton o rings is what I need to get then. If they don't have those what then? I'll have to google viton..

I assume the crush washer goes on the tip where it meets the head? Then the o rings after that?

What about the piece that goes to where the header pipe meets the muffler pipe? What is that boot thing called?

What kind of bike is it?

OK, I'm not sure how the pipe mounts on that bike.

On engines where the two-stroke pipe slips inside the exhaust port, the pipe has o-rings that go around it.

On engines where a manifold bolts to the cylinder and the pipe slips over that, there's not usually o-rings, just a gasket that goes between the pipe and the manifold. You'll probably have to get that from a dealer, or an online store that sells OEM parts.

OK, I'm not sure how the pipe mounts on that bike.

On engines where the two-stroke pipe slips inside the exhaust port, the pipe has o-rings that go around it.

On engines where a manifold bolts to the cylinder and the pipe slips over that, there's not usually o-rings, just a gasket that goes between the pipe and the manifold. You'll probably have to get that from a dealer, or an online store that sells OEM parts.

I'll post pictures

fmf shows a spring & O-ring kit for $9.99. If there's a washer between the pipe and port...prolly a dealer item. Either way, inexpensive repair.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1412560396.845767.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1412560412.076038.jpg

Sorry kinda dirty just got home from s hard day of riding

The second picture there is a gasket that holds them together. What is that?

It goes into the head in the first pick. No bolts. Just held tight by springs

Not right right now. I can feel the exhaust coming out the front

The second picture there is a gasket that holds them together. What is that?

It goes into the head in the first pick. No bolts. Just held tight by springs

Not right right now. I can feel the exhaust coming out the front

Use this.
  • Like 1

Most 2 strokes are like that type. You can get a o-ring and spring kit for like $12... http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/MX/67

Also do you know if your pipe might be slightly bent? I know mine is bent just enough where it doesn't make a perfect seal.

Yes I think the neck is slightly bent. Thanks for the info I will get the kit

There are no crush washers on the 200s.

The O-rings go into the two grooves on the header pipe. Once you remove it you will see where they fit.

Here are the part numbers from McMaster-Carr for both Viton and Silicone O-rings. 

The Viton lasts a little longer, but is more expensive. I've used both and can't tell much of a difference. Buy a bundle and change them often:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9263k739/=u1cpqd

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9396k438/=u1cqeq

Just buy a couple of new springs, make sure they are the correct length for your bike.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2709/9505/Raven-Swivel-Exhaust-Spring?v=5741

If the rubber joiner between the pipe and silencer is leaking, use a couple of zip ties on it, see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by IdaSpode

There are no crush washers on the 200s.

The O-rings go into the two grooves on the header pipe. Once you remove it you will see where they fit.

Here are the part numbers from McMaster-Carr for both Viton and Silicone O-rings.

The Viton lasts a little longer, but is more expensive. I've used both and can't tell much of a difference. Buy a bundle and change them often:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9263k739/=u1cpqd

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9396k438/=u1cqeq

Just buy a couple of new springs, make sure they are the correct length for your bike.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2709/9505/Raven-Swivel-Exhaust-Spring?v=5741

If the rubber joiner between the pipe and silencer is leaking, use a couple of zip ties on it, see if that fixes the problem.

I appreciate that.

Are those the correct o rings?

If you look at my previous picture it seems like there are grooves there. Maybe it isn't in. I'll check!

Can I use rtv under that joiner to keep it sealed?

Springs look right also. I'll measure mine. Thank you for the links. I will order pending you response! Thanks again. Hope to fix this soon!

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner.

Yes those are the correct o-rings, in two different materials. You can try high temp sealer under the joiner, I've not had good luck getting the sealer to stick/last. Also try a using a couple of zip ties.

It is hard to see in the photos due to the dirt, but it does look like the head pipe is not correctly aligned with the head. Clean everything up, slide the pipe into the head and secure the mounts, then check to see which way it needs to go to sit square. Remove the pipe and use a piece of pipe or wood to tweak the pipe in the correct direction. Do a little at a time as you don't want to have to go back and forth. Sometimes the hardest part is holding the pipe while you bend it. It might be easier if you have a helper.