Sign in to follow this  

TRIED to bleed my clutch while out on a ride...

For some reason, this weekend, my clutch would barely engage (or is it disengage?)... the first couple inches of lever pull did nothing. It got to the point (late in the day) where I had almost no clutch, so I couldn't stop in gear (and finding neutral was impossible). Luckily I trucked it to the ride... I drove over an hour to find DOT 4 brake fluid (sheesh, gas stations only carry DOT 3), and was planning on bleeding the clutch. Grab an 8mm wrench, turn a little... man, is that tight! Crap, it slipped... WTF! Is the bleeder a 7.5mm screw??? 

If no, then what size is it?

If yes, then can I replace it with a common size (like, 8mm)?

And (B)... WHY would anyone use a screwball size like that? 

As for what's wrong with my clutch... no idea. The master was empty, so I filled it, and it gave me enough action where I could ride. Although, I had about 3/4 inch of lever use, so I cut today's ride short.

I thought you were supposed to use what the master says on it... because using the wrong DOT can damage o-rings (and other stuff)? That's what I always thought, anyway.

How about that bleeder screw, though?

I believe the diff between dot 3 and 4 is boiling point.  Dot 5 is silicone, that doesnt mix with 3 or 4.

• Like 1

I believe the diff between dot 3 and 4 is boiling point.  Dot 5 is silicone, that doesnt mix with 3 or 4.

Correct.  You can mix DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 but not 5.  Of course when you get back to civilization you would want to flush the system and use just one of those types.  Since the clutch actuation system is not under any high temperature DOT 3 would be fine.

As far as the bleed nipple, I was pretty sure it is an 8mm but will check when I get home.  Did you use a 6 point wrench or a 12 point wrench on it? 

They do seem to become very tight, I found an old 6 point ignition wrench that fits it perfectly. They can break off quite easily which creates a whole new set of problems.

I always use a 6-point. The motel owner had a 7mm and that was too small, but I tried the 2 8mms that I had, and he had a couple 8mm (just for the hell of it)... they were clearly too big. He was like, are you sure it's not American? I don't have any SAE tools on my bike, but I told him there's no way it shouldn't be metric.

Good to know about the different DOTs... thanks.

For future reference, you can use DOT 3

Sounds like you have a small leak somewhere. Maybe the slave oring

+1. Check your slave cylinder first. If you can't see where the fluid is leaking out, most likely the o-ring is busted on the piston.

They do seem to become very tight, I found an old 6 point ignition wrench that fits it perfectly. They can break off quite easily which creates a whole new set of problems.

I found that out the hard way...

Any tips on removing once broken off?

My riding buddy broke how off and was only just able to drill it out with a miniscule drill bit. He tried an ezout but could  not find one small enough.He had resigned himself to buying a new slave cylinder but lucked out.

• Like 1