Not just a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke question

Okay so I know the differences between 4 and 2 stroke bikes so that's not my question, my question is rather which would better suit my situation. I'm 18, 6 foot and 200 pounds and have been riding an old Honda 250 four stroke for some time( 2-3 years).  So I'm not completely new to riding but by all means nothing close to a pro rider. Right now I'm looking for a new bike to trail ride on, my trails involve a lot of rocks, mud, hills ,some technical turns, and a few straight a ways. I'm currently tied between 2 bikes, the KTM 350 XCF‑W, and the KTM 300 XC- W. I know both come with their pros and cons and was wondering what you guys think I should go with. Right now I basically only ride in 1st,2nd, and 3rd if that helps. I'm not looking at the newest models either as I'm a student and can't afford that, 2008-2013 models in mind. If you can think of a better bike for my situation then let me know.

Being a student with a limited budget, perhaps you should look for something along the lines of a KDX 200.

2 stroke. Doesn't overheat as fast, Ktm 300 is a good Ike. Good power. More power I think. A bunch more. 2 stroke

Being a student with a limited budget, perhaps you should look for something along the lines of a KDX 200.

Well when I said that I meant more along the lines of I cant afford a $12 000 bike. My price range is $4000 - $7500.

+1

+1 on the 300 there great bikes, even a 250 would be great for you

+1 on the 300 there great bikes, even a 250 would be great for you

I heard that the 300's have a lot better low end though? If so I think I need a 300 because a lot of my trails are done in a low gear and involve a lot of steep rocky climbs

I heard that the 300's have a lot better low end though? If so I think I need a 300 because a lot of my trails are done in a low gear and involve a lot of steep rocky climbs

i ride a 200xc it will tear you up... I grunt a hear high unless I need on pipe. The 300 is great. The 250 is nowhere near as nice as a 200

I'm 5"11 180 more with gear on and it will drag me off

Either bike would be great. I have a 300 and love it. One of my riding buddies has a 350 and he loves it. Boils down to personal preference. Do you like 2 stroke power or 4 stroke? Is maintenance cost or complexity an issue? 2 stroke is a less complicated engine with less moving parts so in general less complicated and less expensive to maintain. That being said, 4 strokes are not rocket science. If you have no preference then look at both bikes and get the one in the best condition for the best price.

There was a side-by-side comparison of those two bikes a few months ago in one of the magazines (Dirt-Bike, perhaps).

A friend of mine asked same question on another forum - see replies here:  http://www.floridatrailriders.org//ftr_forums/showthread.php?t=14676

Edited by Still Bill