1985 xl 600 float oem float level.

I used the search function on thumpertalk and couldn't find an answer, so here it goes. I don't have my service manual yet and am going to be rebuilding the carbs tomorrow. The float just has a tab that is bent and was wondering if anyone knew offhand what the float was supposed to be at?

-Linny

Do a search for xl600r manual and you can find one on the net. I don't have the manual on me. I am actually camping with the gam and using wifi tethering to post so can't get the file or I would look it up. The manual is for 83-84 but it's pretty much the same thing with a couple variations. Good luck.

Edited by Hedchange

So .790 of an inch. Thanks. I do not have a float level gauge, but I do have a telescoping gauge and dial calipers. If I set the telescoping gauge to .79 can I set it roughly that way? I was looking online and I'm trying to see where the float level gauge sets. Is it where the float bow presses up against the carburetor body?

Edited by Lindstrom

im getting an 1985 Honda XL600 tomorrow and I know the carbs need rebuilt. its got the dual carb setup that im not familiar with. is there anything I should watch out for or check during removal? Also.. where and the hell do you find parts for these old bikes? XR's Only has nothing except universal stuff..

im getting an 1985 Honda XL600 tomorrow and I know the carbs need rebuilt. its got the dual carb setup that im not familiar with. is there anything I should watch out for or check during removal? Also.. where and the hell do you find parts for these old bikes? XR's Only has nothing except universal stuff..

I got a lot of my stuff on fleabay.  There is some stuff that will work universally.

The bottom middle 8mm bolt is hard to get to and also its a pain trying to get them out.  Seems like you need three hands, but just fold back the boot and wiggle the carbs out.

I've had my XL for under a year, and the carbs where already cleaned and jetted when the previous owner put the xr's only muffler on, so I haven't had to crack them open...yet.  I'm no help there.  Otherwise I can help.  Most parts you can find on eBay, I've found everything I've needed so far.  Most of the mechanical parts, hoses, and hardware are in good shape and can be further refurbished at home.  Ebay is really addicting though so keep that in mind.  I've purchased so much stuff I really don't need (dress up).  partzilla.com and bikebandit.com rockymountainatv.com are good sources of whats left of OE parts like clutch cables, hardware, gaskets, o rings, grommets etc.  They don't have things like fuel tanks and handle bars, just the little dribs and drabs that Honda still makes.  https://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/home.php?cat=1050 is dcplastics which makes whole plastic kits and decal kits.  You need to use the old plastics on your bike as a template as the dc plastics do not have any mounting holes and need to be drilled, no big deal.  Their headlight holder and fairing plastics only fit their replacement plastics.  xrsonly.com has some nice stuff.  Their full exhuast system fits your bike pretty easily and sounds great, looks nice, and helps on the top end.  They also make a replacement dipstick that has a thermometer as the head of the dipstick, I'd recommend picking that up.  One last website is out of england, and they have a boat load of OE stuff, never used.  Things like original headers, original tanks, oe crankcase covers in perfect condition,  but it is big money even in euros so imagine the exchange; but it is there.  Private message me for that website because it's a hidden gem and I'm saving up for some of the parts!

http://jemoeder.org/Honda_XL/Honda_XL600r_Workshopmanual.pdf

That is a link the the shop manual, the exact manual for free online, it will be your best friend.  They go for about $45-50 on ebay, used.  

Call your local honda dealership. One of the things that I am learning slowly is to use Honda OEM parts. Some of the aftermarket stuff is questionable. Siriusconic has a carb rebuild for 90$ free shipping. OEM is your friend. You may pay more but it's worth it. Ebay is good too.

I've rebuilt a few sets of these carbs so I'll drop some knowledge on you.  First, get everything from right from Honda.  Aftermarket stuff usually doesn't fit as nice as OEM and can slow the whole job down.  Second, be careful with the screws that hold the two carbs together, people like to get ham fisted with them and break the mount tabs off.  It's a big screw so if it's not cooperating, then grab it with a vice grips.  Second, the plastic parts are fragile (these are 30 year old pieces after all) the part that joins the two linkage sets, the choke valve cap, the fuel pipes the go between the two carbs, and the vent tube on the side, most of that stuff is NLA from Honda, so be careful with it.  Third, if they're really gummy inside, don't try to clean the pilot jet, just get a new one.  The hole in it is so small that it's hard to get really clean and can get plugged up again very easily.  (The rest of the jets and parts have much bigger passages so you can clean them up easily) You still can get a new pilot jet from Honda (#99103-MG3-0620), even a bigger one if you want (#99103-MG3-0650) I run the bigger jet because I personally like a rich pilot circuit, but that's just me.  Lastly you might want to get a new gasket set #16010-MG2-305.  You'll need two and they're about $25 a pop.  Again, not entirely necessary, but none of the gaskets are available separately, so if you need one, you have to buy them all anyway, plus again, these are 30 year old carbs with 30 year old seals, you'll be amazed how much softer and better fitting the new ones are.

Also, the linkage can be confusing to reassemble, try to only take apart one carb at a time, maybe take a picture or two before taking things apart.

• Like 1

thanks guys for all the help. i got some new jets, cleaned out all the gunk from the carbs. did go 3 jets sizes bigger. got it all back together. it runs. first it ran really bad. misfired and reved up really high. i let i run for a while and it seemed to get better. now it revs up only when i gas it. it stays up then comes down and dies. also got some gas coming out of the overfill. maybe a float? also found a small oil leak on the left side cover. easy fix?? i hope. i just need it to run and be safe.. its my spare bike for others to ride and will be ridden by mostly newbees.

Edited by matterramma

thanks guys for all the help. i got some new jets, cleaned out all the gunk from the carbs. did go 3 jets sizes bigger. got it all back together. it runs. first it ran really bad. misfired and reved up really high. i let i run for a while and it seemed to get better. now it revs up only when i gas it. it stays up then comes down and dies. also got some gas coming out of the overfill. maybe a float? also found a small oil leak on the left side cover. easy fix?? i hope. i just need it to run and be safe.. its my spare bike for others to ride and will be ridden by mostly newbees.

Yes, the left side cover should be an easy fix, just a new gasket. The only thing to watch out for is the clutch lifter pin, it tends to come out with the stator cover and then fall on the shop floor and roll away forever. It is a small dowel that engages the clutch push rod.

As for the carb, you are describing a hanging idle. It is usually caused by a lean pilot circuit. Did you up the size of the pilot jet or just the mains? As for the fuel flowing out the overflow you are right, that can only be a float/float valve issue. Often times the float will just get hung up on reassembly of the carb and a quick thump with a screwdriver handle to the float bowl will knock it free. Since it sounds lean at idle I would bet it is the float on the right carb but that can be confirmed by tracing which overflow tube has fuel coming out of it.