Sign in to follow this  

2014, valves, long term reliability, hours, etc.

Just hit 46 hours on my 14 I bought in May. Was wondering how everyone elses' is. I checked valves at 30 hours and all in spec. Just wondering long term reliability, etc. Hoping its like my 12 and 05 were which had valves in spec still at 120 hours. Anywho, just checking in with longterm status. Thanks and happy riding.

I'm at approx 15 hrs total (bought the bike used). Revved the heck out of it over the weekend and thinking I need to check my valves. Also had one small crash in a silt bed which filled my left air scoop with silt. Scared to look @ my filter. Interesed to know what others are needing on valve adjustment and piston and ring replacement.  

Apparently the photographer noticed me revving the KR**P out of my poor bike too:http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/Lake-Elsinore-Grand-Prix-Harvey-Mushman-100,38244/3K2A0584,78753/ML512,13480 Rode to 4th OA in the open class @ Lake Elsinore Grand Prix Pro Race. Stoked with 2014 YZ250F.

Edited by Swappa
  • Like 1

Nice job swappa....no worries on the sand lol...I crashed in some deep/wet sand as well, thought for sure air box was gonna be loaded....and hardly nothing!! And shroud was completely under the sand. I'm at 40 hours and bike feels better than new. Only did shift stopper, have not done impeller as jason Raines told me only mod bikes were having impeller failures. Anyone else not done their impeller and have some real hours racked up?? (Like over 100)

• Like 1

I went 100hrs on my son's practice bike before i put the gytr head on it.Valves were still in spec.Thats on a pro level rider.I do put a clean air filter in for every ride.

• Like 5

Good to know. I have a '13 and have 40 hours on it. Couldn't decide whether I wanted to put a new top end in it over the winter or not. I should be fine though. Thanks.

I consider a top end as new piston,rings,pin,circlips,head and base gaskets.Not valve replacement.I do a fresh top end every 20-30 hrs on the practice bike.I have stretched out to 40 hrs but you can tell the power is down.

• Like 2

"You" might be pushing it...i doubt id notice 10 extra hours on a piston. And, I am sure I would probably speak for many in saying that...whether they want to admit it or not. Afterall, they feel noticeable slower if they dont have their radiator relocation kit installed.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Does anyone know if the 15 piston will fit in a 14? They made a few changes to the piston on the 15 and was hoping it was interchangeable. Plan on replacing the top end at some point this winter. 

Does anyone know if the 15 piston will fit in a 14? They made a few changes to the piston on the 15 and was hoping it was interchangeable. Plan on replacing the top end at some point this winter. 

Yes it will, they share the same part number for the cylinder.

• Like 1

It depends on the rider and maintenance IMHO for valve life. If taken care of properly (intake stays clean, always freshly oiled and clean air filter, no bouncing off the rev limiter) they should last 100 + hours. That said if I have a fast intermediate or pro rider racing the bike I rebuild the head every 25-50 hours depending on the engine build.

• Like 1

I recently put a top end ('15 piston) in my daughter's '14 @ 65 hours. Everything was still in spec including the ring end gap. :thumbsup:

Edited by dvn
  • Like 5

I recently put a top end ('15 piston) in my daughter's '14 @ 65 hours. Everything was still in spec including the ring end gap. :thumbsup:

Now this is what we've come to expect on the 5-valve motor. Great news for the current gen.

Does anyone know anything about the cam chain? And also, I have been getting a large amount of metal shavings in my oil after 2 rides. Any suggestions on how I ride or what may be happening?

Edited by Kitchen Anderson

Does anyone know anything about the cam chain? And also, I have been getting a large amount of metal shavings in my oil after 2 rides. Any suggestions on how I ride or what may be happening?

What exactly are you asking about the cam chain? Are you sure its metal or is it aluminum?

What exactly are you asking about the cam chain? Are you sure its metal or is it aluminum?

How long does it usually last? I do not know anything about it except that it is stock.

How long does it usually last? I do not know anything about it except that it is stock.

I typically replace the timing chain every time I do a top end. That's usually about every 40 hours. The chain will start to kink and stretch over time. Also running a kinked and stretched chain can cause premature wear on the crank gear it rides on.

Edited by Charlie755

I typically replace the timing chain every time I do a top end. That's usually about every 40 hours. The chain will start to kink and stretch over time. Also running a kinked and stretched chain can cause premature wear on the crank gear it rides on.

I have easily run over that amount of time. Are there any definite signs that the chain needs to changed?

I have easily run over that amount of time. Are there any definite signs that the chain needs to changed?

Yes. If you remove the chain and hold it out you will see kinks in the chain links. This is a good sign of a worn chain. Look at the sprocket on the crank shaft too. Make sure the teeth aren't worn or bending in one direction. Replacing the chain during each top end replacement is good preventative maintenance.

• Like 1