Where to start

So I recently moved to a small city, North bay, Ontario, and there's pretty much nothing to really do up here.  With that being said, I'm interested in getting into dirt biking, though I've never actually ridden one.  I don't really know where to start, so any tips or pointers would be appreciated.  Just some info:

20 years old, 6 foot 2ish, 180 pounds or so. 

Any help would be awesome.

If you've never riden before my advise is to start small and cheap... I got my buddy on a dirt bike this summer for the first time....we found him a Honda 150f (teenager bike) paided $600, he loved it, he could touch the ground well in tight stuff, power pulled him anywhere he wanted to go but couldn't rip out from under him, built skill and confidence. He's ready to move up now,

• Like 1

If you've never riden before my advise is to start small and cheap... I got my buddy on a dirt bike this summer for the first time....we found him a Honda 150f (teenager bike) paided $600, he loved it, he could touch the ground well in tight stuff, power pulled him anywhere he wanted to go but couldn't rip out from under him, built skill and confidence. He's ready to move up now,

I agree with getting started cheap if you don't have much experience with bikes. IMO a 250 4-stroke would be a good fit. I'm 6'3" 220lbs and they have the power to get me going if I really open it up; its pretty easy going while cracking it open too. I don't have experience with how the 150's ride but I imagine it would be a great bike to learn technique on. I saw a few people practicing on them at a local Mx park yesterday. I just feel like it might be a little small for someone that's 6'2"

Being a student, I just don't have a whole lot of cash to dish out, but that being said, I don't want to get something that won't last either.  When buying a bike, is there anything in particular to look out for or keep in mind? What would be my best steps after buying a bike as well?

I've been looking around and researching a bit. I came across a 2006 Honda CRF 250R and then the 2001 Honda XR that was recently posted in this thread as well. I talked to both owners, and worked them down to relatively the same price, within $100 of each other.  I read that the CRF is a more agile bike, and generally better, but requires more maintenance.  Does anyone have any opinions between which of the two would be better?