Sign in to follow this  

Is my compression too high?

Hey everybody

So I have searched around about compression but All I have found is stuff about whether peoples' compression is too low. I heard/read that too high of compression on a 125 causes detonation which is bad. I am wondering what is too high, and if I should be concerned. My bike if I kick it 7 times with the throttle wide open with the engine cold it reads 180 psi. Is this too high and will I have detonation? The bike is a 95 cr125.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Ive read that it should be at 185 psi at its top abd a mininun of 120 psi. 250 smokers allow more compression.

Okay well I'm running some regular non-ethanol pump gas do you think I could be getting some detonation? They have some higher octane stuff I could run in it instead if that would improve the longevity of my bike

only run the high octane and never the cheap stuff.

these motors are designed for it, lower octane will cause detonation and kill your top end.

Okay I think I'll have to start buying their more expensive stuff, I think it's like 1 or 2 dollars more per gallon

Compression isn't the only thing that can cause detonation.

Timing advance, jetting, squish, and octane all have a bearing on it.

Okay I think I'll have to start buying their more expensive stuff, I think it's like 1 or 2 dollars more per gallon

its worth it, you could melt a piston and get crap down in your motor and then the money starts to flow.

dont feel too bad, I have to run 50/50 race/pump gas.