1983 Honda XR350R

Morning all,

Thought I'd say hello. I've got a 1983 Honda XR350 which I've had for 5 years or so. It was my first dirt bike, now been replaced by a few other bikes up to my current 2013 KTM350 which I use for racing. The XR350 has been sat in the shed for a while, but is now in the garage ready for fettling!

Looking to get it up and running again a bit better, and after some help / advice..

1. What front brake setup can I put on to pep up the stopping power? I've put the 1985 RE front end on so got discs, just want a new m/cylinder and caliper. The rebuild kits are that pricey, it'll be better to just replace the lot I think

2. Has anyone got a float bowl lower cap (big hex unscrewing part) for sale? Mine cracked and has been areldited on the trail, working OK but would be good to replace.

3. Luggage racks - anyone know of a good bolt on option, maybe off another model? 

4. Exhausts - interchangeable with any other models? looking for a new end can, just for badness really :)

I'm going to try the rear wheel off my wife's CRF230 - looks like it might fit at first glance - if so I'll be on the market for one of those so I've got an 18" rear that can take proper rubber - I'll report back!

attached are a few photos, thanks everyone!

Jon

DSC_0321.JPG

DSC_0326.JPG

XR Rebuild april09 (13).JPG

In all my years here I don't think I've ever seen a thread about using other brake setups on these bikes!  Unlike most other bikes, nobody seems to mess with brake improvement here. 

Calipers are the same as CR's and CRF's, so no better or worse. If yours is shot, just buy a newer stock setup (unless you find some other info) and it's braided brake lines and bigger rotors that help and are available. I bought a complete front brake setup off a 2000+ XR250 for $40 on ebay and it bolted right up, didn't even have to bleed it.  ;)    FWIW

83-84 shared more parts with the 500 and the re-designed 85 more with the new 600 though I don't know that the rear frame changed any. 

Lots will work for exhaust. 

Here's with XR400 can  DSC00045.jpg

And now with 2 Brothers Racing M7 can for a CRF450.   WP_000134_zpsf7b559f6.jpg

Edited by MindBlower

Cheers for the info.

I've just got a full front brake off a 2001 XR400 which will, hopefully, go straight on.

Mindblower

In your 2nd photo do I detect a set of inverted forks? If so explain I impressed!

Forks are from a 2001 CR125 with the All Balls Racing bearing conversion. They work VERY well in dual sport use.  :)

Morning all,

Thought I'd say hello. I've got a 1983 Honda XR350 which I've had for 5 years or so. It was my first dirt bike, now been replaced by a few other bikes up to my current 2013 KTM350 which I use for racing. The XR350 has been sat in the shed for a while, but is now in the garage ready for fettling!

Looking to get it up and running again a bit better, and after some help / advice..

1. What front brake setup can I put on to pep up the stopping power? I've put the 1985 RE front end on so got discs, just want a new m/cylinder and caliper. The rebuild kits are that pricey, it'll be better to just replace the lot I think

2. Has anyone got a float bowl lower cap (big hex unscrewing part) for sale? Mine cracked and has been areldited on the trail, working OK but would be good to replace.

3. Luggage racks - anyone know of a good bolt on option, maybe off another model? 

4. Exhausts - interchangeable with any other models? looking for a new end can, just for badness really :)

I'm going to try the rear wheel off my wife's CRF230 - looks like it might fit at first glance - if so I'll be on the market for one of those so I've got an 18" rear that can take proper rubber - I'll report back!

attached are a few photos, thanks everyone!

Jon

I"ve got a nice aluminum rack from Ballards for an XR600 that I'm not going to use now.  

Edited by MindBlower

Cool, tell me more. I've just bought an xr600 too so I could use that :-)

I'll dig it out and take a pic or two.