Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki PE175 Issues.

Hi guys,

I need some help on a Suzuki PE175.

The problem is the Clutch, it had problems getting into gear. When shifting into first it would slam into gear and when I come to a stop it would drag very badly. So bad I need to keep the engine on a rev and hold the brakes.

So today I did a teardown and found that on the basket was some ridges ofthe friction plates. I lightly sanded them away and I took the metal plates and sanded them with sandpaper on a glass.

Put everything back together and found it no longer slams into gear, but a normal tap into gear.

But it still manages to drag when coming to a stop. Not as bad as before though.

And another clutch issue was on the test ride, when I come rolling to a stop with the clutch lever pulled in and I give it a rev, the engine has a extremely bad vibration. Almost as the mounts are loose. But they are all tight.

Also when I ride slowly and I increase rpm and when it hits the powerband its almost as if the clutch is slipping.

The revs go up but the bike doesn't speed up with it.

And also when its warm and I'm at a complete stop with the clutch pulled in, I can slam the throttle wide open and it won't rev past around 3500 revs.

But I guess its a jetting issue that can be attended to after the clutch is sorted.

For reference the cables all have enough freeplay.

And I Have tried motorcycle oil, gearbox oil and currently ATF.

With all oil type changes the clutch was disassembled and all the previous oil removed.

And the oil type changes have made zero difference.

I hope someone could shed some light on my problem.

Thanks!

What year is your PE?  I'm thinking that it might be time for a new clutch cable and a complete rebuild of the clutch (basket, all plates and springs).  And while your waiting for parts, disassemble and clean the carb.

Hi,

The clutch started working nicely after a bit of riding.

But the engine had been making exessive noise, almost as if there was a loose connrod cup. I had the cylinder head off but found no problems. So today I took off the cylinder jug and found the top ring broke in two pieces and one of the piston skirts was snapped off.

I have found the rod has side-to-side play, so the crank would need to be overhauled.

My question, is the broken skirts due to the play on the rod?

Also what is interesting is that the piston and cylinder have less than 70 hours on it.

Just as the clutch finally comes right this problem comes up.

Also, I am not sure about the year model, but could someone decode the engines number for the year model?

Thanks

Hi,

The clutch started working nicely after a bit of riding.

But the engine had been making exessive noise, almost as if there was a loose connrod cup. I had the cylinder head off but found no problems. So today I took off the cylinder jug and found the top ring broke in two pieces and one of the piston skirts was snapped off.

I have found the rod has side-to-side play, so the crank would need to be overhauled.

My question, is the broken skirts due to the play on the rod?

Also what is interesting is that the piston and cylinder have less than 70 hours on it.

Just as the clutch finally comes right this problem comes up.

Pretty sure a small amount of side to side play is ok on the rod but it's up and down play you have to worry about. 70 hours is no small number I don't think for a 2 stroke piston, it may just have been ran for too long and blown up. You will also wanna crack the case and see if any piston fragments got down in there.

Hi,

There is no up and down play on the rod but at the top of the rod (piston end) it has about 5mm of side to side movement.

So do these old 2 strokes also need to be rebuilt after around 50 hours?

Thanks

Hi,

There is no up and down play on the rod but at the top of the rod (piston end) it has about 5mm of side to side movement.

So do these old 2 strokes also need to be rebuilt after around 50 hours?

Thanks

Everybody has different ideas about how often a bike should be rebuilt, and a lot of it has to do with your riding style. If you are riding at super high rpms all the time then you will need to replace the piston more often. My 125's manual days to replace the piston every 7.5 hours, but that is for racing. IMO 40 hours is a good mark for replacing a piston. And your rod should be okay

Hi,

Rod bearing is shot, the needles are all skew and it jams the rod from rotating on the crank.

Will probably give it a rebuild and see what comes up.

Would like to thank everyone for their help!

Hi,

Rod bearing is shot, the needles are all skew and it jams the rod from rotating on the crank.

Will probably give it a rebuild and see what comes up.

Would like to thank everyone for their help!

Yeah that would definitely cause a problem haha:) when you say a rebuild are you meaning just the crank or the whole engine? Because fragments of the piston could be down in the engine bearings and then when you run it, it will self destruct.

At least check it out when you're in there.

Glad to see you're figuring it out

Yes, the whole engine, rod bearings, probably crank bearings and obviously the piston.

I will have to split the case and clean it out.

Could the Skirt be broken off some time already? Because I couldent find any large pieces in the crank case. About 90% of the skirt is gone. Probably mashed to bits.

And its just a weekend bike for occasional rides.

Yes, the whole engine, rod bearings, probably crank bearings and obviously the piston.

I will have to split the case and clean it out.

Could the Skirt be broken off some time already? Because I couldent find any large pieces in the crank case. About 90% of the skirt is gone. Probably mashed to bits.

And its just a weekend bike for occasional rides.

Yeah you're gonna want to take apart the whole engine like you said including the trans and clean every single bearing, no cutting corners here. If a bearing seems iffy, replace it. Iffy at 10,000 rpms is bad news! Also yeah I think the skirt was probably broken for a while and the fragments wrecked the rod bearing and that caused the catastrophic failure. Good luck with it!