45 tooth Sprocket currently installed and an extra 41 tooth laying around

I searched the forum and web and it got more confusing the more I looked.  Anyway, when I purchased my DR400s the previous owner gave me a couple extra sprockets.  It currently has a 45 tooth installed.  I also have an extra 45 tooth as well as a 41 tooth sprocket.  It seems to me that there is quite a gap between a 41 and 45 tooth sprocket.  I've mostly seen 44 tooth sprockets listed for the DR400s on my searches.  Does it seem odd that the DR would come with two sprockets so widely spaced?  Any reasoning for the combination of 45 and 41? I would also think that changing a sprocket back and forth would be a pain in the butt!  My DR has about every mod possible.  So, it's pretty much maxed out for the stock motor if that makes a difference. I would also say 90% of my riding is Forrest trails and the other is 60mph side roads.  My riding partner has a DR200se.  So, getting these 2 bikes synced is high on the priority list! Runny off and leaving my partner (the wife) would be very, very bad.  Most, if not all my riding is done with my wife.

Sorry for the Noob questions.  But, I figured someone here is running a similar combo.    

41-45 is actually a close gap for sprockets. 44 being stock for s. You would see around 5 mph difference between them. 44 being better for trails and 41 better for interstate. As far as getting them synced that Drz will run away from that 200 no matter how hard she tries if you are riding the Drz to the max so the sync will have to be learned in your right wrist not bought and bolted on! Not a noob question at all though! It's all a learning experience and once you start to get it you'll pick it up quickly

• Like 1

i run a 50 for the forest, its much better for chugging through dicey stuff and will probably put it on the 200 level as far as comfortable cruising rpm ..55 or so unless you want to scream it .. anyway 45 is close to stock, 41 i wouldnt use except for strictly onroad if the majority of your riding is over 60 ..

• Like 2

15/41 is the sweet spot for me, aftere 3x3 and rejet.

switched to the 41 (from the stock 44) to lower the rpm on pavement, and have not run out of power off road yet, mostly 2 track, no single track.

3 teeth in the back is about equal to 1 tooth in the front (actually 2.73)

?

• Like 1

I searched the forum and web and it got more confusing the more I looked.  Anyway, when I purchased my DR400s the previous owner gave me a couple extra sprockets.  It currently has a 45 tooth installed.  I also have an extra 45 tooth as well as a 41 tooth sprocket.  It seems to me that there is quite a gap between a 41 and 45 tooth sprocket.  I've mostly seen 44 tooth sprockets listed for the DR400s on my searches.  Does it seem odd that the DR would come with two sprockets so widely spaced?  Any reasoning for the combination of 45 and 41? I would also think that changing a sprocket back and forth would be a pain in the butt!  My DR has about every mod possible.  So, it's pretty much maxed out for the stock motor if that makes a difference. I would also say 90% of my riding is Forrest trails and the other is 60mph side roads.  My riding partner has a DR200se.  So, getting these 2 bikes synced is high on the priority list! Runny off and leaving my partner (the wife) would be very, very bad.  Most, if not all my riding is done with my wife.

Sorry for the Noob questions.  But, I figured someone here is running a similar combo.

I wonder if there is enough adjustment to run the same chain between those two sprockets, If I change up two teeth on my bike the change I the adjuster is about 75% of its range, when using the same length chain.You might need a shorter chain to go to the 41. Or shorten that chain and use two master links to add length when going back to the 45. Not sure though.

If you're satisfied with the bike offroad now, get a 14t front sprocket ($15) and put the 41t rear instead of the 45.

With the 15/41 the bike will be much more relaxed at 60+mph. 

When you want to go offroad put the 14t front on you'll have almost exactly the same gearing you have now.   ?

You'd need extra chain to reach, so have to buy one if no spare links lying around.

I have two sets of wheels with ideal gearing (for me) of 14/48 for offroad, bike is a tractor and will climb anything you can keep traction on. Wheelie with a flick of the throttle at low speeds and come up with power in the first 3 gears.  Great fun!

For a $15 sprocket and a $50 chain, you can LOVE your bike in both situations.

On road I like 15/45 but I don't go much over 50mph in my city only cruising. If I did, I'd use that 41t rear.   ?

Edited by MindBlower
  • Like 1

I want to thank everyone for the "real world" answers. My wife and I went out riding yesterday.  It was about 50/50 dirt and street.  The 200 is pushing pretty hard at 60 mph.  Since I will rarely be exceeding 60 mph the 45T seemed to chug along just fine. Up until a week ago I was still riding a DR200.  The 400 feels like a torque monster!  No matter what speed I'm going it seems like all I have to do is roll the throttle and off it goes!  I really had to row through the gears to keep the power going off-road.  I appreciate not getting beat up over a simple question.   ?

• Like 1

15/41 is the sweet spot for me, aftere 3x3 and rejet.

switched to the 41 (from the stock 44) to lower the rpm on pavement, and have not run out of power off road yet, mostly 2 track, no single track.

3 teeth in the back is about equal to 1 tooth in the front (actually 2.73)

?

I have the fantasy about turning the dr into a Adventure Touring bike.  I think I would go with the 41 tooth in that case.  I actually have a couple friends that ride the Alaskan highway on their 400's.  They seem very happy with the DR400 when their friends are riding the KLR650.  I am considering Panniers but they are brutally expensive. I think I like the idea of soft bags better.  Plus, it's nice to be able to take them off at a moments notice.

Easiest way to sync your wifes bike to your bike is, buy her a 400 as well. ?

I have no doubt that's coming.  I'm selling my 200 to my son-in-law.  We will be putting the money towards paying off my wife's 2013 DR200. She says she is satisfied with the 200.  But she has yet to ride the 400.  The other problem is that she is fearless.  She broke her leg earlier this year riding the 200.  It wasn't out of carelessness, she was just trying to push the bike past it's limits.  I hate to think what she would do on a 400.   :eek:  

• Like 1

if you dont plan to ride above 60 very often i would run a 15-47 or 15-50 setup (15-47 is same gearing as 14-44 which i have and commute 60mph for 50 miles to school or home) the 15-47 would allow you to cruise 60 or below as long as you want without numbing your hand and still allows for enough mphs to easily pass anyone going 60mph also where as the 50 rear would be like 55mph comfortable cruising. 15-47 is pretty good combo for commute/offroad as it wont kill your clutch had to badly at low speed trails. the 50 rear though i bet would be amazing on tight/tech single track so you can just chug in first or second and not clutch as much! As for the wife i would let her beat up on the DR200 learning, and after she has gotten good at riding sell the 200 giver her your 400 and use the money from the 200 to buy yourself a new DRZ400 with 6 speed, FI, Oil sight glass, and standard option MRD Z-Pro exhaust!  :devil: