So i need some opinions on a crf150r

So i am looking to get a crf150r. I am 6'1 180 pounds and 16 years old. I was curious to know how it'd hold up to me, How fast it'd go, And what mods i could do to make it faster and have more power. I have about $3000 to spend on the bike.. And $1500 on mods. Thanks

You are way too big at 6'1".

And too heavy.

It's a kid's / youth's bike. You are a full grown man.

Edited by ferguscawley

Exactly what he said above me. Try a 250f or 250 2 stroke for your height and weight.

Like they said above, crf250r is the way to go. Even a big wheel 85/150r is going to be too small and underpowered for your size.

Well, I was riding a XR100 till it blew up after about 6 years. Now i am looking for something decent sized but not too outrageous  

Yz250f. Good bike. Or if you want a little more power and have a less maintenance bike a yz250 2 stroke.

I you read through these threads, you'll find that there are quite a few big guys riding the CRF150RB for fun. But they—and I am one of them—are mostly mature men who understand exactly what the bike is all about for them. It's light and fast without having to do anything to it except to make it fit.

Making it come even close to fitting you will be the biggest problem you will face. You won't be racing it, at least not competitively—you're just too heavy to compete with someone who is as skilled as you and weighs 60 pounds less—but the suspension will still be too soft for your weight. So you'll need springs, front and back and a revalve if you want to do it right. Also figure on bar risers like those from RSW, for pegs that are lower and farther back (though not by very much), for taller bars with less pullback, and for a taller seat. 

You'll also want to put some money aside for the frequent maintenance that the bike requires. You can't run it the same way you could run an XR100 and get away with it. If you run the snot out of it without following the maintenance tables it will blow up on you sooner than later.

Yz250f. Good bike. Or if you want a little more power and have a less maintenance bike a yz250 2 stroke.

+1 on the two-smoker (YZ is not the only choice, and 250 is not the only size). Lots of bike for the buck, less maintenance (except jetting), and faster than the CRF.

So i am looking to get a crf150r. I am 6'1 180 pounds and 16 years old. I was curious to know how it'd hold up to me, How fast it'd go, And what mods i could do to make it faster and have more power. I have about $3000 to spend on the bike.. And $1500 on mods. Thanks

how bout u try a full size mx bike not youth mx bike and if you dont want some extreme power get a 125 like a yz 125 or cr 125

go full size bike I had one and loved it but I was barely 5 5" and 120 at the time

I think i'll just get a crf250r and put a lot of nice stuff on it

You need a full-sized bike. At 5'6"/155lb, I am too big for a 150rb. Sure is a fun bike to mess around on though.

You may want to reconsider a YZf over a CRF250... YZf valvetrain is much better in respect to reliability

Edited by mjruopp

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Joe08
      Hi i’ve just bought a CRF150R 2008, and the bike wont idle. When i got there he was having trouble getting it to idle. Anyway i went on it but he said i had to keep on revving it in order for it to stay alive. It was fine didn’t fully open it up so couldn’t identify any other isues but i did give it some throttle but seemed fine.
      So i bought it and got it home and still my self cant get it to idle. Everytime i start it it will start up and just die, and then when i go to give it throttle it just bogs out. Only the occasional time it will start up and i can keep it going but it will eventually die.
      So the guy said you have to ‘prime’ it twice before you start it so i do that and it start up  a bit longer and dies and then i go to go give it throttle and it bogs out no matter what.
      So then i put the choke on starts right up but idles high but then as soon as i take it of choke it dies and then i go to give it throttle and it bogs out. Then only way to keep it going is to choke it and then hold the rev and turn choke off and just keep revving it like i did when i first went on it at the guys house.
      I’ve looked at some suggestions on Youtube and the internet and i can’t find much, people were just saying it could be a clogged pilot jet or needing a need a new pilot jet or to change it or the air/fuel mixture screw, but the problem is i cant find it and i wouldent know how far to turn it out nor how to know what pilot jet size to get.
      So i was just wondering if anyone out there could help me fix this ASAP. Not really looking to do to much maintenance as i dont wanna break anything before ive properly riden it.
      Thanks Joe
    • By jsmith811
      Lets hear some more ride reports, Owner comments..
      Update: 11/22/06.. My son got to ride his CRF150R for about 2 hours on a small track, he has raced MX, but mostly we ride trails, only go to tracks for fun. This little engine really goes.. the bottom end could use some improvement for our type of riding, but it really goes.. if it's realiabe I'll be extremely happy with the purchase. I'm looking to add two teeth to the rear sprocket & a FWW when it's available. After that I can't imagine a bettery all around bike. Transmission is very smooth, & the little engine really pulls. The jetting is lean, we added a 42 pilot & everything seems good, it might take a 45, not sure takes it a good 7-9 minutes to get warmed up good, but it was very cool when we rode it.
    • By Deilke53
      The bad news is that the new 150 is very loud, the good news (if any) is that it's so loud stock I doubt the aftermarket companies will be able to make it much louder.
      Here's my situation: as a pro-class supermoto racer I'm fully aware that wide open exhausts make a bit more power, and I'm certainly a good enough racer to use every teensy bit of my 450's power at the track, but I'm also very aware and upset over noise issues causing track closures and the constant threat of laws banning ORV use on private property.
      I purchased the new crf150r as a playbike replacement for my beloved 150f..and of course after riding the 150r I had the same initial reactions as everyone else "WOW!" better than I could have imagined, and just exactly the bike I've always wanted as a playbike blah blah blah...umm, well, except for the noise:(. I have 20 acres of woods laced with about 2 miles of trails and jumps scaled perfectly for these mid-sized bikes and my son's sx65, but even with 20 acres there is no way that my very cool neighbors wouldn't be bothered by this thing, and there's absolutely no way I'd subject them to it.
      SOOO, since nobody is going to offer a truly quiet quiet exhaust, yet another do-it-myself scabrication project begins. The goal is to get very close to totally stock crf150f sound output while keeping as much of the R model's throttle steering/wheelie on demand kick ass power as possible. Enjoy.
      Step 1: testing. We used a straightaway to test the stock sound. We made several passes in 4th gear, under load, adjusting our aproach speed so that we'd be in the peak power and truly truly WFO while passing the meter which was placed 50 feet to the side of the track. (a reasonable test, since several of our trails come within 50 feet of a property line) 95dbA!!, yes ninety-F'n-five 50 feet!?..good god that IS a very loud minibike. Seems as loud as a 250, only worse since it's almost always pinned.
      Step 2: Take it apart.

not much to see here, standard OEM fare, minimal perforation, minimal packing, 1.4" I.D. straight through with a slight curve in the endcap.
      Step 3: Try somethin else.
      We'll keep it simple and try the basics first. a) Increase exposure to the packing material..I've had great luck using expanded metal to replace stock perf-tubes, it's never ever failed me, and the packing does not burn out as fast as you'd think even on a 450. Reduce diameter. Using the new perforated section to taper down, I went from the 1.4" input down to a 1.1" output. c) Divert the flow. it's been my experience that if you let any exhaust flow pass straight through then a great deal of noise will go right along with i've created a diffusing chamber within the last 1.25" of the silencer shell. Now the exhaust flow (which has already seen lots of glass and had its tunnel narrowed a bit) is split by that cone on the center of the back wall and forced to take the long way around to the two (0.7" dia.) exits.

Step 4: Results?
      Same test procedure described in step 1.....85dbA. Ten decibels less!..oh, and the bike felt like it hadn't lost any power. Hmmm, off to the dyno..

All of these runs are corrected hp using the stock knobby..the stock run was done when the bike was new (not broken in yet) out of jetting curiousity, but we did not change the stock jetting. I've seen other stock dyno runs posted (20.7hp broken in with knobby, and BBR got 23hp using a smooth street tire) so my bike seems to be right in line with those other figures. Maybe these exhaust mods lost 1/2hp?..maybe nothing?..either way, -10dbA is much much quieter and also a far greater reduction than you'll ever experience with the typical "optional quiet insert" .
      Unfortunately, I think WFO85dbA is still too loud for my property so I'll have to try some other solutions, but it's a great start.
      This post has been promoted to a wiki
      My sons been complaining the last couple races that his brakes are little on the long side and wants me to upgrade them. I've ridden his bike before and the brakes are under par in comparison to my KX450 or my other sons KTM 65SX. I don't want to spend a bunch of money unless it's really a need so these are the options I've come up with. I'm looking for some feedback from anyone thats been down this road.
      1. replace the brakes pads with a more aggressive pad & braided line $100
      2. swap to the dual piston setup from a crf450R and Applied racing bracket total cost about $188 with new pads
      3. oversized 240mm rotor, new pads and adapter $190
      4. oversized 240mm rotor, applied racing adapter, dual piston caliper from crf450r, pads and braided lines $450 or so. (not really an option lol but would be nice)
      The cheapest is option 1 but will it really solve the issue or only be a bandaid and then later I'll end up spending more money.
      Any input would be great.