Sign in to follow this  

Needle in a Hay Stack...loosing my 5hit!

Last week I bought a new phone, made the switch from 9 years of iPhone ownership to a new Samsung S5 Active. Did not take long to become quite attached to the new phone at all and am seriously impressed with its abilities. Even the 20.1 mega pixel camera is amazing and saved me from buying a new camera for now. Now the fun part of this story:

We were riding an all new to us territory up in the mountains of Lytton BC. These trails are quite extreme in many places with massive hill climbs some of which exceed 1000m and others which are designated “extreme hill climb challenges”. One called Wild Horse has a trail book for anyone who successfully climbs the hill to sign, the book is yet unsigned. I made it only half way up 3 times as did the guys who rode with me.

So back to my story, one of my riding companions, buddy #1, didn't want to pack the large laminated map he had of the area due to its size and the fact that it belonged to someone else. So we all just took pictures of it and were going to use our smart phones for the map details on the ride. Well buddy #1 forgot to charge his damn phone and buddy #2 just forgot his damn phone altogether yesterday. So that left me with mine.

So during this 90km long ride through the mountain tops and valleys buddy #1 continued to stop me to check the trail and keep orientated. This was starting to piss me off as he was constantly getting in and out of my pack for my new phone and using it with his dirty gloves. Well at one point at about 7200ft he decided to check it all out one more time and when done placed it back into the pack. Now we get rolling again and ride for almost an hour down some nasty extreme downhills, rock ledges, roots and fallen trees all the way out to a service road. Now buddy #1 wants to check the map again for the 1st time since the top of the last mountain. “Dude, your pack is open and your phone is gone”…………

I &%$#@!ing lost my shit, almost went into that zone where bad things happen. Instead of tearing into him though I jumped back on my bike after a few short words and blasted back into the trails in hopes to find a needle in a hay stack. I rode alone for several kms like a mad man attempting to get to spots where I assumed it may have fallen out. I road so fast that they could not catch me nor could they have helped me look which was a fail all on its own, but hell I was pissed off, seeing red and not thinking straight. At one of the larger fallen trees that I remembered hitting real hard, I again stopped to look around for a small black phone on the forest floor but found nothing. At this point buddy #1 had caught up to me and asked if I had found it yet. I turned around and gave him a blast of choice words and got back on my bike to ride off to continue my search. At that point he yelled at me and said “What’s That?” then pointed down in the woods about 12 feet over from the log, up the trail now behind me. There he saw a power bar with a red wrapper and said “No that’s not it”. Then when he got off is bike to pick it up he found my phone a foot away from it. Holy shit, if that wasn't shit house luck then I don’t know what is. I thanked him for finding it, apologized for being so close to ripping out his spine and beating him to death with it, packed the phone safely away and we rode off. It did take me quite some time to calm down but eventually it was all just something to laugh about. When we got back to camp I remembered about the water proof bag with a lanyard that I was going to pack the phone in that would have saved a good deal of grief that day, shook my head, popped the lid of a cold Guinness and though how pathetic that we've (or maybe it's just me) become so attached to these damn things.

post-345078-0-30030800-1412625832.jpg

post-345078-0-57443400-1412625845.jpg

post-345078-0-88364200-1412625856.jpg

map.jpg

missing phone.jpg

missing phone1.jpg

Edited by Pittbull
  • Like 7

Ya I learned a valuable lesson.......trust no one. You'd think that I would have learned that by now. Just glad that it was found and double glad that buddy #1 was the one who actually found it. It was the redemption he needed to stay alive.  :lol:

Well I did my first trip there a couple of weeks back and all I can say is EPIC. All I can remember is brake check and adventure some where in the attached pic.

I've got a Samsung Rugby and have start using Oruxmaps (free android gps app) and the garmin off-line BC topo. The attach pic was the route 50km - 6 hr ride in google earth.

I've been carrying my phone in my pack and have been looking at a secure place to mount. I'm not so much using it for "where am I going" more for "how the hell to I get back".

I'm looking at an arm mount case with a plastic cover and velco straps so I can mount to my 7/8" bar pad. I've seen the larger block pad here somewhere with a clear plastic cover.

Another option is a vest with chest pockets.

Sorry if I got off topic here

Clipboard01.jpg

Screenshot_2014-10-06-17-57-04.png

• Like 1

Well I did my first trip there a couple of weeks back and all I can say is EPIC. All I can remember is brake check and adventure some where in the attached pic.

I've got a Samsung Rugby and have start using Oruxmaps (free android gps app) and the garmin off-line BC topo. The attach pic was the route 50km - 6 hr ride in google earth.

I've been carrying my phone in my pack and have been looking at a secure place to mount. I'm not so much using it for "where am I going" more for "how the hell to I get back".

I'm looking at an arm mount case with a plastic cover and velco straps so I can mount to my 7/8" bar pad. I've seen the larger block pad here somewhere with a clear plastic cover.

Another option is a vest with chest pockets.

Sorry if I got off topic here

Thanks, I'm going to check out those GPS apps. Like I said I'm new to this phone system but am learning to love it fast....stupid apple products  :censored: , just got so tired of their shit.

Was looking at the Garmin app but had concerns about its abilities.

An arm mount might be OK but I've been known to crash a few times and not so sure one of those would survive me, same goes for the bike mount ones. Think I'll just secure it in my pack in a water proof bag and tether the damn thing in. Or maybe even come up with a body mount that secures under my body armour somehow in a way I can retrieve it easily. 

Lytton was one hell of a place to ride, enjoyed it very much and will be going back for sure. We sure covered allot of ground and rode some crazy trails. Some of my favourite trails were Mattress, 1000', Adventure, and Scull Head trail (which does not seem to be on the map). It is the extreme trail above CC's where Scull Rock is. That rock was a bitch! Was not a fan of the slippery down hills though and wasn't too pleased with my inability to make it up Wild Horse Hill Climb either. Although after finding not a single signature in the book I didn't feel to bad. I'm thinking that riding that place in the summer heat or in the winter would be unbearable as well. 

Great looking riding area, great story.  Glad you found your phone.

I imagine it's not an issue up there, but I have a MiniDroid I bought and was planning on getting a GPS app except...the other day pulled the phone out of my pack and it said, "cool down mode, emergency 911 calls only" or something like that.

Whole lotta good it'll do out and about if it overheats.  It was around 97F give or take a few.

Edited by SpunBearing
  • Like 1

This was almost an hour after we found it. You can see I'm still not quite past it yet!
I needed to fall down a few more times racing buddy #1 through Adventure trail and down Rookie Rabit so that exhaustion and pain took over being cranky.

post-345078-141264960748.jpg

1412649608294.jpg

Edited by Pittbull
  • Like 1

Awesome riding area

Would you recommend the Samsung. I have an iphone 5 right now and it just SUCKS. It's the worst phone I've ever had. When I get a new one, I'm going to take the iphone and give it the shotgun test. 

Thought about it but I have a tool pouch there now and kinda like it.

Awesome riding area

Would you recommend the Samsung. I have an iphone 5 right now and it just SUCKS. It's the worst phone I've ever had. When I get a new one, I'm going to take the iphone and give it the shotgun test. 

Holy crap would I ever, awesome device and IMO way better than the iphone.

• Like 1

awesome story.... had a similar thing happen... although not quite as extreme.... riding one day and a kid that I had never ridden with says that his shift lever is gone on his ktm 125.... the bolt and the entire lever is gone....  ended up riding back 400 yds on the trail and found his lever and found the bolt only 20 ft away!!!! 

As I said The blockish bar pad would be my choice if I didn't have 7/8" bars.

I'm going with something like 0ne these but not in pink :)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=arm+mount+for+phones&biw=1170&bih=621&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xH80VNjnMe3nigLPgIHgDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=phone+case+armband

And wrap around my bar pad.

PM me if you download oruxmaps

I enable the google localisation on my phones in case I lose them (work with gps)

it enables me to locate the phone via another one or from a laptop. And in worse case scenario lock it completly when stolen

• Like 1

I enable the google localisation on my phones in case I lose them (work with gps)

it enables me to locate the phone via another one or from a laptop. And in worse case scenario lock it completly when stolen

Awesome idea...thanks. 

Awesome idea...thanks. 

type in google

Android Device Manager

if GPS isnt turned on the phone you'll have a 500m radius    with gps turned on it's more like 5-10 meters

plus the option to force your phone to ring where ever it is

Edited by MrFreez82
  • Like 1

I lost my chit a long time ago..  I can now hide my own easter eggs

• Like 2

type in google

Android Device Manager

if GPS isnt turned on the phone you'll have a 500m radius    with gps turned on it's more like 5-10 meters

plus the option to force your phone to ring where ever it is

Very cool, thanks. I just signed up and signed into the Samsung account as well, they offer a similar service.