13 450 XCF Cooling issues

Ok so I've got cooling issues on this bike, so far it's my only complaint that I can actually blame on the bike. It just runs hot, does not like the uber technical stuff, then again neither did any of my 300's, but this 450 really likes to blow coolant easily.

I know lots of folks are going to say install a fan, but that's not really something I want to do right now, plus funds have gotten a bit tighter and a fan kit is like $150.

The other things I've heard is to install a different rad cap, but I think that just let's the bike run hotter before it pops and I'm not sure that's the right answer either???

The other option would be to install a catch bottle so that when it does boil I don't loose the coolant. I know it sounds like I have all the answers but I just have to think there is a different one. I don't see all the Jap bikes boiling in the same conditions, and they are all going slower than me, so it's them who should be boiling...?

Just looking for some easier solution that actually works!

My '14 350XCF doesn't need much reason to run hot. I'm easy on the clutch and pretty efficient in the tech tight stuff but I can count on the bike heating up and overflowing some coolant. This is with temps in 70-80s at 8-9k'. I'm always aware of it and the need to keep air flow going. My buddy is a fairly new rider on the same bike. He's way hard on the clutch and constantly revving the piss out of it at a slower pace. And of course his bike pukes more coolant. It always looks like a lot more than it actually is....steaming motor. But never good when your motor is screaming it's hot at these low outside air temps.

I love the bike and it's perfect for what I do but I'll be installing a 100w stator and fan kit. Problem solved and down the road. I don't think switching to ice coolant is going to cut it. I know the OP is on a 450 but plenty of feedback out there on 350 & 450XCF running abnormally hot.

A Trail Tech or OEM fan kit is your best bet. Bite the bullet and do it.

Ya I think a fan kit is in order, just really don't want to do all that work, what a pain..

The fan is pretty easy to install, especially if you don't have to deal with rad braces. The upgraded 70W Trail Tech stator was a huge pita for me to install because the bolts securing it to the case had to be drilled out. I don't know if your 450 will need the bigger stator, but my 350 did because it only outputs 20W in stock form.

The fan is pretty easy to install, especially if you don't have to deal with rad braces. The upgraded 70W Trail Tech stator was a huge pita for me to install because the bolts securing it to the case had to be drilled out. I don't know if your 450 will need the bigger stator, but my 350 did because it only outputs 20W in stock form.

Ya I actually use Unabiker rad guards and I am concerned about that, I'm certainly not taking those off!!

Wrfrk

i have a 2013 45-xcf and had the same issues. put the fan kit on and swapped the regular coolant for Evans waterless coolant.

no need to swap out stator. big time difference. also ran the trail tech fan kit, which by the way uses the SAME fan as the KTM kit but also has an adjustable temperature setting for the fan to turn on. KTM does not offer this option. anyway no overheating issues since.

Wrfrk

i have a 2013 45-xcf and had the same issues. put the fan kit on and swapped the regular coolant for Evans waterless coolant.

no need to swap out stator. big time difference. also ran the trail tech fan kit, which by the way uses the SAME fan as the KTM kit but also has an adjustable temperature setting for the fan to turn on. KTM does not offer this option. anyway no overheating issues since.

Hmm, that for would be the best option. Just ordered a coolant recovery tank for my bike instead, at the least I'll not loose my fluid on the trail. If that does not work then I'll get the fan kit........

There are a few cheap tricks you can do. 

Upgrade your fluid from 50/50 to 33/67, where you get more water than coolant. Add 4oz of DEI radiator relief and a catch bottle. I have a 450sxf and i also upgraded my water pump and she doesnt spit so often and when she does its caught in the catch bottle and sucked right back into the rad once it cools.

from what i hear EVANs is the best but more pricey than you would like