LESS THAN 24 HOURS LEFT TO GET IN ON THIS! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

300xc Golden Tyre GT216x and a drilled out Michelin Bib Mousse

So, i always wanted to try a GT216 with a drilled out mousse. Its an expensive combo but just wanted to try it so bad. I never used a mousse before and i watched videos, but, it was still a Bitc*! My previous rear tire was a S-12. Most riding i do is rocks and roots in the woods where the soil washed away or it thick black soil full of rocks and roots. I also spend a lot of time in the water. I put this combo to the test the other day and you cant believe how it conforms to the ground and hooks up. A couple of hills that are not super steep but full of rocks jutting out and roots fully exposed without any soil around them at all. you cant hit them with speed really because there are so many obstacles. Normally, you get hung up and lose momentum and then cant get moving again so then you need to turn around and try again. Well, now i can stop dead on these rocks that are wet and then finesse the throttle and clutch and from a stop,and continue, just by weighting my seat and not paddling. The drilled out mousse forms to everything like a track on a skid steer. This tire however i feel like if you break it loose hard on some sharp shale you will cut all the knobs off. I aggressively rode this tire for about 4 hours, but riding like i didnt want to spin and it showed little wear. Just ever so slight corner blemishes. Just wanted to share my experience. Anyone else ever use one?

I just picked up same tire. Same bike as you, but has A Rekluse Pro. I use Tubliss out back. Same roots and rock on Vancouver island. We have the Terra Nova enduro next weekend and it's always a toss up between a high end trials tire and a new knobbie,(soft). This tire should handle it all.

I just picked up same tire. Same bike as you, but has A Rekluse Pro. I use Tubliss out back. Same roots and rock on Vancouver island. We have the Terra Nova enduro next weekend and it's always a toss up between a high end trials tire and a new knobbie,(soft). This tire should handle it all.

Cool! you will like it. I was thinking of a trials tire but rode a friends 250xc with one and breaking down hills in loose terrain was horrible. I think you will like this better than a trials tire. Try and ride it like you want to stay hooked up especially in sharp rocks and i bet a lasts a decent time period.

Ive tried a few of the tires available with the tread pattern that the 216 has (pirreli scorpion, mitas ef-07, etc.)

All have worked amazing when combined with low tire pressure (i run tubliss). Lately ive been sticking with the mitas, as ive found it has lasted the longest. All have been Fantastic tires for gnarly, rooty, rocky terrain!

• Like 1

Ive tried a few of the tires available with the tread pattern that the 216 has (pirreli scorpion, mitas ef-07, etc.)

All have worked amazing when combined with low tire pressure (i run tubliss). Lately ive been sticking with the mitas, as ive found it has lasted the longest. All have been Fantastic tires for gnarly, rooty, rocky terrain!

Where do you buy an EF-07? that is actually the one i wanted to try but couldnt find it anywhere.

Which model Pirelli did you try?

Ive been one of the first guys to use 216s in North America, and using the 140 sizes. Ive been pushing them as a "the" tire to be on. I don't like the wear the 216x provide and I find the traction virtually equal as the standard 216. I have been using the 216s since 2012 when they first came over. I have used other tires and found that performance in specific areas to be better then the 216s but as a overall tires, the 216 excels. I don't much care for the 216 front and the knobs fall off fairly quickly so I prefer the 213. Funny because its the polar opposite of the rear 216......

Ive been one of the first guys to use 216s in North America, and using the 140 sizes. Ive been pushing them as a "the" tire to be on. I don't like the wear the 216x provide and I find the traction virtually equal as the standard 216. I have been using the 216s since 2012 when they first came over. I have used other tires and found that performance in specific areas to be better then the 216s but as a overall tires, the 216 excels. I don't much care for the 216 front and the knobs fall off fairly quickly so I prefer the 213. Funny because its the polar opposite of the rear 216......

get a MT 43 and like it!

I have a 216x "gummy" This is the first tire on this type i have used. Where can i buy an 216s? Have you heard of a 216HB?

You can just phaq right off with that trials tire BS! :smirk:

I saw lots of pushing from guys with trials tires on that ride...

:thinking:  You didn't see me pushing, well, not my own bike anyway.  :smirk:

• Like 1

I found the slip angle on the 213  front to be uncomfortably excessive causing a understeer tenancy before hooking up again, a little un nerving to say the least . I think these are good tires if focused to the exact conditions that they are designed for but still prefer Pirellis or Michelins overall.

If you are going to run a trials tire for racing, you run a bigger risk of flats because of speed. We end up running about 10 psi because of that, and you have to be prepared for poor braking and drifting performance. If you're racing or not ,I suggest a bib mouse in a trials. If you're using a Tubliss system, with a trials then you'd better carry tubeless tire plugs and a pump. Because they puncture easier and have flimsy sides, you can't ride out 20 miles on a flat trials tire.

• Like 1