Sign in to follow this  

Rear Shocks

Hi,

I ride a 1979 XL500 with a 1981 XR500 Fork with a 21 wheel

and a set of Progressive Suspension shocks in the back.

The rear shocks are not good enough for the type of off-road riding I do.

Are the Works Performance shocks that much better then the Progressive Suspension shocks ?

I want to upgrade the suspension and I am looking for the best rear shocks (without increasing rear wheel travel).

Edited by efi64

Hi,

I ride a 1979 XL500 with a 1981 XR500 Fork with a 21 wheel

and a set of Progressive Suspension shocks in the back.

The rear shocks are not good enough for the type of off-road riding I do.

Are the Works Performance shocks that much better then the Progressive Suspension shocks ?

I want to upgrade the suspension and I am looking for the best rear shocks (without increasing rear wheel travel).

Works shocks are as good as you can get. And will be built especially for your needs. Do it.

Works are better. There are higher end shocks available but costs go up a bunch. Ohlins, Race tech, Noleen, Elka are examples

Race Tech aren't better. WP are close to Ohlins in performance and not that much cheaper.

Have had some nice works shocks made before. Also have had custom shock made for same bike by Race Tech and they were better in my opinion. Have a set for vintage racing and low/high speed adjusters, piggyback and best I have ever had on that C&J chassis. Also had some excellent WP and Ohlins over the years also.

.Has anyone here actually had a set made for an xr500? I cant picture anything as heavy (I had a 79 myself) as that handling  (Bottoming) and worth the cost. I was quoted over $400 for a pair back in 1996! I paid $500 for the bike, so it made more sense $wise to buy a newer bike with better suspension. I cant imagine it being any more economical today. A mid 90's suzy dr350s would do everything better than a 79 xl500. Bear in mind i ride pine barrens which have some whoops. But once you make the rear better, then the front sucks, so you fix them. Then you can go faster but the brakes suck and by the time your'e done you have a very expensive 1979 xl500 (probably minus all the street legal stuff that makes it valuable in the name of saving weight). I found using it within it's limits boring for my skill level off road..come to think of it, even my 86xt350 did everything better than my 79xl500.

Edited by ickfinger

Check to see if Hagon makes a set? Very affordable and the few sets I have used have had very good dampening characteristics. The guys riding CRF230 have a new Hagon and love it.