what is a good computer for enduros?

I remember the ICO checkmate was the best, but then they stopped making it. I basically need a computer that shows the time AND has an adjustable odometer on the SAME screen.

I called trailtech, and they said that in order to get to the adjustable odometer screen on their units, you need to hold the "mode" button down for a few seconds. But after a few seconds, it will go back to the main screen. This won't work in an enduro race when you need to make the adjustment on the go, preferably with a thumb switch.

Any enduro riders out there? What are you using?

Edited by craig3x

• 5 weeks later...

Bumping this topic, because I have found some new info.

The key to a good endure computer is the ability to have an adjustable trip odometer while ALSO displaying the time/stopwatch on the same screen. None of the Trail Tech computers have this ability, but the stock KTM computer that comes on the exc and xcw models do.

ICO Checkmate was a great computer (til they stopped making them)

Does anyone know of another endure computer maker?

you can use the roll chart method. But you still need an adjustable odometer and watch to do it right. No need for GPS.

I called and talked to a guy at ICO ( makers of the checkmate computer that was discontinued) and they said they are hoping to have a new version of the checkmate out this spring. Of course it will be about $300. But the checkmate is by far the best computer to have for an endure.

Limited market.

When I was riding Enduros I used a roll chart, resetable odometer, and electronic watch.  Since timing is to the nearest minute except for tie breaker and test sections that works quit well.  I set the watch to my minute.   Today I would use a digital odo like the  TrailTech units because they are easy to calibate.

im suprised after all these years with technology coming so far that there aren't 10 to choose from.

I agree Mike. Trail tech seems to be many people's answers, but they really aren't made for enduros. When I've spoken with guys at trail tech and told them what I need, they say they don't have that. I made suggestions on future products and they basically tell me no need cuz they sell thousands and thousands of what they have already. It's too bad they don't care about evolving and becoming a better company.

Limited market.

When I was riding Enduros I used a roll chart, resetable odometer, and electronic watch.

Yes chuck. The key is having the adjustable odometer. The trail tech computers do have the adjustable trip odometer, but it requires you to hold down a button for 3 seconds to access it, then it switches back to the main screen after 3 seconds of inactivity. I don't have 3 seconds to take my hand off the bar while I'm riding, then do my adjustments

craig3x, correct me if im wrong here, but the only time you need to adjust your mileage is at a reset, where they usually give you about 5 min to catch back up to your min. I feel like the allotted time given at the resets is plenty enough to adjust your mileage. If you're not getting to the resets quick enough, then your mileage won't matter...you're down on time anyway, and you can just set your mileage at the next point that you have to wait because you're there ahead of time.

I am looking for an enduro computer though, seeing as how I did the entire ACES enduro series without an odometer, and an analog watch(misplaced both my digital ones, just haven't bought another yet), putting the odometer and time all in one package would make sure i always have both  for the race haha. 

http://www.vectrixsupport.com/dewebsite2014_002.htm

There's a link for a watchdog enduro computer. It's pretty pricey compared to trailtechs stuff, but probably has what you want.

Graham3913, when riding 10 actual miles vs 10 miles on a bike, your odometer is going to be off due to jumps, and wheeling over whoop sections, etc. There are postings on trees throughout the course that show actual mileage so that you can adjust to be correct at those points. It's usually every 5 miles or so that they post true mileage. It's only important on certain enduro formats. I rode an enduro last weekend which it didn't matter ( can't remember the name of the format, but it was formatted the same as the Six Days Enduro). Either way, I want a computer that can be easy adjusted on the fly. The Watchdog is a good one, but you're right...pricey!

Yes chuck. The key is having the adjustable odometer. The trail tech computers do have the adjustable trip odometer, but it requires you to hold down a button for 3 seconds to access it, then it switches back to the main screen after 3 seconds of inactivity. I don't have 3 seconds to take my hand off the bar while I'm riding, then do my adjustments

That is why an anolog resetable odo is needed, the only advantage of the TT odo is you can fine tune its accuracy based on tire rolling circumference.  Can't do that with an anolog odo, but you can reset it at mileage resets.

craig3x, correct me if im wrong here, but the only time you need to adjust your mileage is at a reset, where they usually give you about 5 min to catch back up to your min. I feel like the allotted time given at the resets is plenty enough to adjust your mileage. If you're not getting to the resets quick enough, then your mileage won't matter...you're down on time anyway, and you can just set your mileage at the next point that you have to wait because you're there ahead of time.

I am looking for an enduro computer though, seeing as how I did the entire ACES enduro series without an odometer, and an analog watch(misplaced both my digital ones, just haven't bought another yet), putting the odometer and time all in one package would make sure i always have both  for the race haha. 

http://www.vectrixsupport.com/dewebsite2014_002.htm

There's a link for a watchdog enduro computer. It's pretty pricey compared to trailtechs stuff, but probably has what you want.

You also need to calibrate your odo, either physically or mentally, to the odo that laid out the course. see next.

Graham3913, when riding 10 actual miles vs 10 miles on a bike, your odometer is going to be off due to jumps, and wheeling over whoop sections, etc. There are postings on trees throughout the course that show actual mileage so that you can adjust to be correct at those points. It's usually every 5 miles or so that they post true mileage. It's only important on certain enduro formats. I rode an enduro last weekend which it didn't matter ( can't remember the name of the format, but it was formatted the same as the Six Days Enduro). Either way, I want a computer that can be easy adjusted on the fly. The Watchdog is a good one, but you're right...pricey!

So if I were to go back to Timekeeper Enduros I would use an anolog odo, plus an accurately calibrated  TT odo, a watch, a roll chart,  a computer, plus a double shot of Starbucks to make sure my brain was up to speed. :ride:

This is what I used in the early 90's on my KDX 200, pull the knob out adjust forward or back, and push it back it. Simplicity by design.

Although you did need the front hub with the odometer hardware.

There has got to be an app that does all this for you, just gotta mount your phone. :D

m0lsII3Ye1NmrlHYuH7uOHg.jpeg

Edited by EnduroMike

I believe there is, but last time i checked it was only for android.

I just checked again, and it says that it's for iOS now too, sooo...looks pretty solid, i might buy it, only $2

It's called Enduro Checkpoint

That is awesome. Now, how to solidy mount your phone to your handle bars? Also, I wouldn't think the constant shaking/jolting would be good for a phone.

Anyone try this app?

Edited by craig3x

I remember the ICO checkmate was the best, but then they stopped making it. I basically need a computer that shows the time AND has an adjustable odometer on the SAME screen.

Any enduro riders out there? What are you using?

I still use my ico. I also have a moose computer. I find that there is little use for a computer now that they are all reset enduros. I used to run a roll chart and watch along with my ico as I have pulled wires out of the computer. The stock ktm odo works pretty well with a watch and roll chart. You really don't need it for most enduros now. Ie if I didn't have an ico I would use nothing.

• 3 months later...