Sign in to follow this  

2009 yz205f valve check/adjustment

I was curious about how do you know when you need to check your valves. What are common issues.

I'm curious because my bike runs like shit. It's idles really rough I can't find the sweet spot on the fuel screw. I'm going to order a shim kit and get ready before I get knee deep in this.

And what are the specs for the valves as well nah input would be awsome

A manual is a free D/L from Yamaha or buy a paper one from a dealer. It is critical to possess one.

Rough running is typical of general poor maintenance. Valve check is a small part of the big picture. Leak down yest, confirmation carb is clean, all rubber parts good. fresh spark plug, and on and on and on.......

I can't find the valve specs anywhere on these online service manuals

Section 4 - 34 will tell you all you need to know about checking valves.

Remember to check the table of contents.

Edited by BleedBlue897

Section 4 - 34 will tell you all you need to know about checking valves.

Remember to check the table of contents.

And that is in the 2009 manual because that's the wrong page on the one I'm looking at

And that is in the 2009 manual because that's the wrong page on the one I'm looking at

No, that's coming from my 07. But, like I stated before you should check your table of contents. It's all in there man, you just gotta look.

No, that's coming from my 07. But, like I stated before you should check your table of contents. It's all in there man, you just gotta look.

Yeah man I was looking in the 09 Manual and I've looked through the whole Manual. So I've come to this ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1412726049.406520.jpg

Yeah man I was looking in the 09 Manual and I've looked through the whole Manual. So I've come to this attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1412726049.406520.jpg

Kylec1720 that's not it, that's the "stem to guide clearance" your specs are on page 3-11 ( Intake 0.10-0.15mm) (Exhaust 0.17-0.22mm) 09YZF Valve Clearance.png I just recently did this and it's pretty simple, here is the link to some videos that should help you out, make sure you have all the proper tools before beginning i.e. like a tapered feeler gauge or you'll never get the middle valve 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lrH1U4FnRY  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAPx5P2oQcw

Edited by Costa Rican YZ250

Kylec1720 that's not it, that's the "stem to guide clearance" your specs are on page 3-11 ( Intake 0.10-0.15mm) (Exhaust 0.17-0.22mm) attachicon.gif09YZF Valve Clearance.png I just recently did this and it's pretty simple, here is the link to some videos that should help you out, make sure you have all the proper tools before beginning i.e. like a tapered feeler gauge or you'll never get the middle valve

Hey man thanks that's should be all I need for now

And actually another thing. They don't give to much info on installing cam chain tensioner. Is that just something that is self adjusting

And actually another thing. They don't give to much info on installing cam chain tensioner. Is that just something that is self adjusting

Once installed it will self adjust BUT if you know how the tensioner works then fine, if not - take out the bolt in the middle of the tensioner, put a screw driver in the bolt hole and undo the tensioner (you will feel it jump forward) then just check that the timing chain is tight, double check your timing marks and you're good to go

I have all my valves now in spec. Out the bike back together and still feels like my timing is off

Edited by Kylec1720

And I also just noticed I went for a quick little ride and if I opened up in a gear and then let it rev down it wanted to die after it was kind of warmed up. What could that mean?