Sign in to follow this  

85 to a 250f

My son has been riding for several years and is growing through bikes within a year. He needs to move up but I don't want him to get on a 125 and out grow it in a year. Thoughts?

I don't think he'd outgrow a 125 unless he really packs on the pounds. 

Why not just go to a 250 2T? That's what I went to after my 85, and I'm still riding the same 250. 

• Like 1

had the same issue my son, went to 250sxf, could just tipy toe one side, 98 lbs with gear. did fine but was pretty accomplished rider by 12. Rider since 3. Trouble was suspension set up?

had the same issue my son, went to 250sxf, could just tipy toe one side, 98 lbs with gear. did fine but was pretty accomplished rider by 12. Rider since 3. Trouble was suspension set up?

lol how old was he?

Get him used to the power sooner! Look into lowering linkage if he's too short to throw a leg over. If that's not enough I'm pretty sure you can actually lower via suspension work as well

As a Veteran of this sport I see many people skip over the 125 2-stroke. I feel the 125 can teach many valuable skills and the power is actually sufficient in most cases. When ridden to the potential a 125 will run with bigger bikes and because you can use all it has to offer it will not be as likely to surprise you.

• Like 1

As a Veteran of this sport I see many people skip over the 125 2-stroke. I feel the 125 can teach many valuable skills and the power is actually sufficient in most cases. When ridden to the potential a 125 will run with bigger bikes and because you can use all it has to offer it will not be as likely to surprise you.

I definitely agree.  My son spent a year and a half on a 125 (after his 85) and the gains he made were significant.  Last week, we picked up a 250 SXF for him, but he had by no means maxed out on the 125.

Yea, i took steps as well. I Went from a 50 to 65 to 85 85 to 125 250 then 450, then i went from a 450 to a 250 to a 200 2 stroke.

im on the 200 now and will never change bikes again, unless i buy a trials bike or a 450 for fun, the 200 is my main Bike.