Asbestos in brake pads? 83 XR200

Can anybody tell me if these old bikes used asbestos pads, or asbestos anywhere else?

Im just about to replace my pads and im pretty sure they dont, but i need to be sure. Asbestos is nasty awful shhht that i want nohing to do with.

I couldn't say for sure one way or the other, but if they're the original pads it may definitely be possible.

The auto industry in the US still uses asbestos in some aftermarket brake linings, etc. (source: http://www.asbestos.com/occupations/auto-mechanics.php)

Whenever unsure, treat it as a worst case scenario.

If they are the original pads/shoes, it's possible on a vehicle from that era. If they have been replaced before it's less likely.

Not to worry. Before you work on it give it a good washing. Wear gloves and wash parts down with brake cleaner. Wrap everything thing up after it dry's completely and toss it.

The danger comes from excessive breathing of the dust. Your likely more at risk driving down the freeway in traffic then if you changed brakes all day for a month.

Ok well who knows when they were replaced. Ill use my respirator then just to feel better about it. Dam its hard to believe people would still use it in anything.

Thank you all.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1412711867.039909.jpg

Ahh it's everywhere!

Ok well who knows when they were replaced. Ill use my respirator then just to feel better about it. Dam its hard to believe people would still use it in anything.

Thank you all.

Don't believe all the hype from the lawyers...